About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Savory Cottage Cheese Muffins and a delight!

The sun has not had a day of peace in a long while now!
 Almost the whole of January saw our little city sun-bathed and tepid everyday.Most of the trees had lost their leaves and become spindly, as it is winter, but some of the birches strangely flaunted their red pepper leaves, almost like a sparse wreath adorning a bald man's pate. Specially the tree just outside our bedroom window. And I prided on that when friends called from NYC and Philadelphia to let out their angst on having to trudge to work through streets dunked in snow in the dreary weather!

But come February, and everything changed. Within this first week, it felt like the sun had to be coaxed out almost everyday. Much of its strength has been drained out trying to jostle for space in the sky with menacing clouds hanging about everywhere.And the only sunshine I get through the window are a couple of stray sun rays late in the afternoon, lightening up the corner patch of my dining table for a fleeting while and then dying down.And this is supposed to be almost spring time!
 Anyway, I do have good company to keep me in jovial spirits even in this insipid weather.And one my dear friends Soni from Soni's Food for Thought was so kind as to gift me the 'Liebster Blog Award'. This is the second time that I had the honor of being passed on this award and I really feel humbled. Thank you Soni, for liking my blog this much - it always feels really really special to have something like this and I will make sure to pass on this award to some of my cherished fellow bloggers.Thanks for giving me the opportunity!Guys, Soni has a wonderful blog of her own and please do visit this lovely lady and check our her lip-smacking recipes!
 To sum up the rules of the award in Soni's own words, I quote her -

"Leibster" means dearest in German and as with any award, there is bit of a ceremony involved.These are the rules if you accept the award:
  • Copy and paste the award on your blog.Link back to the blogger who gave you the award.
  • Pick your five favorite blogs with less than 200 followers who deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog to let them know they have received the award.
  • Hope that the five blogs chosen will keep spreading the love and pass it on to five more blogs.
Only thing here, instead of five I've chosen seven wonderful bloggers whom I would love to pass on the 'Liebster Blog Award' - simply because there are too many talented bloggers out there that makes it so difficult to stop at just five! Please do takeout time to visit their interesting blogs and the mouth-watering recipes! In no particular order they are - 

Efty from Dream of Cakes
Suchi from Kitchen Karma 
Eri from It all Tastes Greek to Me 
Lin from LinsFood 
Vineetha from Ruchi 
Little Mommy from Little Mommy, Big Appetite 
Kristi from Living Unbound
Please do accept the awards and spare some time to send them out to your favorite bloggers and help this yarn of affection weave a lovely circle of friends in blogland!


Now moving on to my recipe for today - it is a savory Cottage Cheese muffin that I rustled up a couple of evening ago and was a hit among my snack-hungry crowd!It looked good (forgive my photos though - they might not vouch for that!), tasted good and had all good things inside and best of all,they are veritable cloisters for hiding whichever kind of veggie you would want to disguise and feed your family, specially kids;) So onto my recipe and let me know if you liked and enjoyed it - after giving a try, that is!


Savory Cottage Cheese Muffins
You will need:
Potato - 1 or 2, skinned and boiled in a little salt water till soft enough to be mashed.
All purpose flour - 1 and 1/2 cups
Melted butter - 5 tablespoons
Cottage Cheese - 1 16 oz. tub (roughly 430 gms)
Baking soda - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
2 large eggs

Onions - Finely sliced
Garlic cloves - 2, finely minced
Spring onions - 1/2 cup, roughly chopped
Green peppers/Bell peppers - 1/2 cup, chopped
Cooked sweet corn - 1/2 a cup
Sun-dried tomatoes or fresh tomatoes - 1/2 a cup, chopped
Fresh cilantro - finely chopped
Green chillies - Finely chopped

Pinch of salt
Freshly crushed black pepper
Cheddar/Mozzarella cheese - 2 cups, shredded 
Tomato ketchup (optional)
Cupcake liners


How I made it:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with the cupcake liners.


2. In a large bowl, add the cottage cheese, eggs and melted butter and whisk with a hand whisk or an electric beater till smooth. Next add in the Baking soda and then the flour in batches, taking care not to form lumps. 


3. Mash the potato with a potato masher or with the back of a spoon and season with some salt and black pepper. When the flour batter is smooth, add the mashed potatoes and beat once again to combine everything together.


4. Next add in the onions, garlic, green chilies, peppers and tomatoes. Mix together and then add the spring onions and chopped cilantro. Add some more salt and black pepper and check the seasoning till perfect.


5. In the muffin tins, pour one spoon of batter first. Top with a spurt of tomato ketchup and then cover the ketchup with another spoon of the batter. lastly smear the top generously with the shredded cheese. Do the same for all the muffins till all of the batter is used up.
 6. Bake for about 20-22 minutes till the cheese on top melts and turns golden brown. Insert a toothpick to see if the inside is cooked and when done, serve hot. The tomato ketchup will flavor up the inside of the muffins and the cheese will leave a lingering savoriness in the mouth for long!Enjoy!

35 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Jaya said...

I have been on a short blogging break so couldnt check your blog..Even Feb is very erratic here this winter Sudha..never made savoury muffins with cottage cheese..lets see if I can make them in coming days..hugs and smiles

SerenaB said...

Sudha- These look amazing I love savory things! Congratulations on the award it was a wonderful pick you blog is amazing!

maha said...

Congratulations on the award muffins r just looks awesoem..

Hema said...

Awesome Sudha, what with the cottage cheese in it and again the cheese on top, shud've been really delicious..

Anu said...

A different version of savory. Happy to follow you

Lizzy said...

Congrats on another blog award! You certainly deserve it :) And I'm loving your muffins...perfect for a snack or for a delicious side with dinner!

Sravs said...

Nice and wonderful muffins !!

Ongoing event CC-Dish For Loved Ones

Little Mommy said...

Thanks so much for the award! Those cheese muffins look delish!

Sobha Shyam said...

i always prefer savory stuff and these look very tempting, will try this out soon..looks yum

Join me for the Just "4" Fun event :)

The Pumpkin Farm said...

looks lovely, nice and interesting muffin

Blackswan said...

Congrats on the award, dear! Thks so much for your wonderful comments at my blog! This is such a lovely recipe, perfect to celebrate your well-deserved award. I'm really happy for u, Sudha!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Sudha, your muffin sure look delicious. Lovely color, very well baked. Yum yum..
Congrat on your award. Have a nice day.

Suchi said...

Wow Sudha thanks so much for the lovely award! I am feeling a little shy, but very happy. On these occasions all my words completely fail me! So much for being a writer (sigh!)
Love your description 'some of the birches strangely flaunted their red pepper leaves, almost like a sparse wreath adorning a bald man's pate' now every time I see a birch tree in fall I will think of this :-))))
Lovely muffins I can totally imagine the salty taste....

Elpiniki said...

These looks great! Congrats on your award! U totally deserve it!

faseela said...

wow....lovely muffins....i have not done the savory version yet....yours luks lovely with attractive color....


Congrats on your award dear....

Soni said...

Thanks Sudha for mentioning me in your post!You absolutely deserved the award for your delectable recipes just like this one!I can almost taste the sweet/ savory combo of ketchup and cottage cheese/potates.So yum and very innovative!Perfect crowd pleaser :)

Beth said...

It's starting to look like spring here too. Hooray!

Eri said...

My dear Sudha, Congratulations on your award and thank you so much for thinking of me!
I love these muffins, I am definetely going to make them! Have a nice weekend!

Suchi said...

Hi Sudha, am back again. New post up with all the ceremonies followed :-)
Cheers and thanks again...

The Better Baker said...

What a wonderful recipe. Your photos are so beautiful. I love cottage cheese baked in anything and I know I would love this. You have a lovely gift for writing and I always enjoy your posts. Enjoy a wonderful love-filled weekend Friend! XO

Sonali Pradhan said...

Wow....the cheese muffins look so savory n delicious !

Http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

Torviewtoronto said...

muffins looks wonderful deliciously done

Tina said...

That is cool that you were passed this award again-congrats!
You are creative, especially if you just went into the kitchen and threw these together. They do look tasty. I especially like the fact there is potato and spring onions in there-yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Claudia said...

I just love savory muffins - have used Parmesan, cheddar - but never cottage cheese. I bet it stays moist! The vegetables and chilies keep it interesting.

kankana said...

I am not much of a sweet tooth person and savory will always work perfect for me :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow...looks extremely yum and my kind of muffins....

Now Serving said...

savory bakes are my fav. sounds yuM!

Patsy said...

Hello my friend. These sound so good and flavorful!
Hugs, Patsy

kitty said...

Hi Sudha dear! Congrats on the award again!! Your muffins sound so savory-delicious!!

Eftychia said...

Thank you so much for this award! I am honored to receive it from you!!!
I will follow all the rules in my next post, so keep in touch because I will come back soon...
BTW your recipe sounds perfect! Thanks again!!

Rathai said...

Congrats on the award, Sudha. :) I would also like to share an award with you. :)

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

such a lovely muffin, congrats on the award. btw, love what u have done to ur blog :)

Vicki Bensinger said...

These muffins sound so good. The perfect little side to a great dish. I can't wait to try these delicious little bites.

Shanthi said...

Looks absolutely awesome and perfect

Kanan said...

lovely muffins. loved it.

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!