About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Homemade Fish-O-Fillet - for that simple taste of home!

Ever since I left high school and started college, I learned to leave the smug comfort of home and adjust with whatever came my way. College offered me residential accommodation on campus in a room barely spacious enough to squeeze past the sides after our beds had been placed.A table with cold steel legs and a cheap wood facade and a bookcase with shutters was all that we had.And a chair which served as my impromptu wardrobe!All through the week, my attire would get flung and strewn on that chair and in the weekends, I would wash my clothes, dry them and fold each one neatly on that very chair.I never envisioned keeping clothes in my bookcase - looked so odd!Hence the chair was my only way out.
 After I graduated, I got a job offer in a city farther away from home.Which meant more wanton existence in the times to come!Rightfully so, I moved into rented accommodations not having the money to occupy an entire place on my own and shared rooms with friends - some dapper, some wanton, some plain non-caring, some friends for life!Whichever way it was, I tried my best to fit in wherever I managed to land. But the instant I would start to believe that things were now on track, someone would change jobs or plan to get married or move to some other place and eventually move out - changing the whole nice setting once again! At last, fed up with these short-term ever-changing arrangements, I decided to return to my home city and to my home.
 I switched jobs and bags and baggage in tow, gleefully returned home. To the sweet comfort of my home, to the loving company of my parents.Only to step into the next phase of my life within a couple of months. And another new home!Bit by bit, I started growing familiar with the new place and the new people and as time went by, I started setting up things in my new home my way. Only to be met with another big change - this time across oceans!I still struggled to call someplace my own.
When I traveled to a new country and walked into a new accommodation, my eyes met a vast empty carpeted room with a wide window looking out to a green well-manicured lawn outside. The adjoining room was a similar view, albeit smaller in size and that tepid summer day, I remember it awash with dazzling sunshine! I rushed to the other room which was even smaller in dimension but very cozily placed with a glass door leading to a timbered balcony. It overlooked a beautiful lake shadowed with swaying trees on all sides.It stole my heart and the realization that it all belonged to me took time to seep in!I busied myself in setting things up my way - in the kitchen, in the den, in our bedrooms and the washroom.And finally, I felt at peace - peace that I could buy those lovely calla lilies and set them up in the long-necked vase by the window, peace that I could arrange the fruits in the cute wicker basket on the counter-top and peace, that I could finally make a place look like I live in there!

Speaking of adjustments, I will now post my recipe for the day and it is my homemade version of Fish-O-Fillet. I love the Fish-O-Fillet they sell at MacDonalds, but something tells me that it is always wise to avoid too much store-bought fried food unless faced with absolutely dire circumstances!Hence I tried putting together my own version of this tasty snack, with a few touches of my own like the mashed potato and veggie mix-up for a more filling snack. Check it out and let me know if it has been worth.Till then, have fun!

Sending this recipe to 'Full Plate Thursday' at dear Miz Helen's cute cottage!!

Homemade Fish-o-Fillet
You will need:
For the fillet:
Tilapia fillets - 2
Black pepper
Salt to taste
Flour - 4 teaspoons
Water - 6-7 teaspoons
Breadcrumbs - 2 tablespoons
Canola oil - for frying the fillets

For the mashed potato and veggie mix-up:
Potatoes - 2 whole
Onions - 1 whole, finely sliced
Green peppers/ Red peppers -Julienned
Garlic cloves - 2, finely minced
Spring onions - Finely chopped
Green chilies - Finely chopped
Salt to taste
Freshly ground Black Pepper
Butter - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons

Fresh bread - 4 slices (You can also use Burger buns or whichever is more appealing to you)
Tomato ketchup

How I made it:
1. To prepare the mashed potatoes, skin the potatoes, cube them into smaller chunks and boil in water or microwave on high, till the potatoes become flaky. Once done, mash with a potato masher or with the back of a spoon till it becomes a smooth paste.

2. In a pan, melt the butter and when fully melted, add the finely minced garlic and chopped green chilies. saute for a minute and then add the sliced onions and peppers.Next add the spring onions, salt and black pepper and cook till the onion becomes translucent.

3. At this point, add in the mashed potato. Mix everything together very well and when done, check for the salt. Add a bit more salt and black pepper powder, if required.Put off the flame and keep aside.

4.To fry the fillets, defrost the Tilapia fillets and rub salt and black pepper evenly on both sides. I usually prefer to halve each half of the fillet for a bite-size piece, but you can use one whole half as well.

5. In a bowl, add the flour and water and mix together well to bring to a viscous consistency - the mix should be thin enough to just hold on but should not drip.season with some salt and black pepper.

6. In a plate, lay out the breadcrumbs and season it too with some salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat up the oil for frying the fillets. When the oil is hot enough, dip the fillets in the flour mixture and then coat on both sides with the breadcrumbs. Finally, fry the coated fish fillets in the hot oil till golden brown on both sides.
 7. To serve the dish, lightly toast 4 slices of plain white bread. You may use wheat bread or Burger buns as you prefer. Lay down one slice of bread and spread out some mashed potato and veggie mix-up to cover the surface of the bread. Next top it with a fillet. Dot it with some tomato ketchup and then put on another toasted slice on top. Do the same for the other two slices of bread as well and your filling homemade Fish-o-Fillet is ready!

34 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Elpiniki said...

Looks delicious!

faseela said...

Wow..lovely fish fillet as well as the potato masala.....a filling food

we all r forced to stick on to the environment that comes in our way.......sometimes luck comes.

Blackswan said...

Love your travel journey & it's a great experience! Nice recipe & very healthy too :)

maha said...

lovely pics....fish fillet looks hot n spicy...... loved the potato masala

Suchi said...

Hi Sudha,
First of all a big thanks for your lovely comment in my blog. It is such a lovely way to start the day!
Secondly I am such a cow I did not wish your on your anniversary, so here it goes belated anniversary dear :-)
Okay so now it is sounding a bit like last minute revision notes so will drop the firsts and seconds.
Your hostel account is so bang on...I also hated the table with cold steel legs, so once I got senior enough exchanged it with an old wooden table as one of the ancient senior was vacating her room....
I have also lived in shared accommodation with roomies and like you mention the experience can be rather random-- the very best friends to worst enemies and everything in between but this experience can sure expose you to lots of different cuisines...
Last but not the least (see cannot get out of the revision mode) love the photos of your fish fillets :-) What a sight for a hungry Bengali to see in the morning :-)
Cheers,
Suchi

Tina said...

This does look delicious! I like the three items you layered together-very creative.
When I was little our family moved every 2 years and I hated it. However, now I look back at it all and find that it did make me more open to change and more accepting of differences in environment. Glad to see that you are now settled in a place of your own!

Sravs said...

superb and looks yummy !!

Ongoing Event - CC-Dish For Loved Ones

Aarthi said...

Wow..You have made it perfectly..Totally YUMMY...Love it..Bookmarked..

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Priya dharshini said...

Awesome click...luv the fish fillets to the core

Balvinder Ubi said...

I am not as young as you but whenever we all friends(just couples)sit together we talked of our college days till late at night, I should say rather say till dawn.
Well, the fish fillet look really good with a layer of potato veggie mix. quite filling.

Indulge said...

I never ever stayed at any hostels or PG accommodation or shared the home with strangers, but loved your write up. That phase of home away from home must have taught you very important life lessons and made you wiser in choosing friends and foes..as my dear friend quotes that one is never given a problem he cannot solve, so this was a part of your life journey and and am sure you would have made any space your own in no time. I do not eat Fish, so cannot comment on the Fillet. Please do not mind that.
Love Ash.

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Sudha, your fillet looks very tempting and delicious. Love your second picture of the yellow roses. Have a nice day.

Eri said...

I love the combination of flavours, it sound and look fantastic!

Julie said...

Very delicious n super inviting fillets!!
Erivum Puliyum

SerenaB said...

This looks yummy! I agree homemade is so much better then store bought! Such a lovely picture next to the bed of the roses! I hope you have a wonderful week!

Sobha Shyam said...

very delicious fillets, tempting and yummy..do drop at my space too as time permits..

Lizzy said...

I love your story about experienceing your beautiful new home...wonderful windows and sunshine and views! Your fish sandwich sounds a heck of a lot better than McDonald's...I used to eat those, too :)

The Better Baker said...

Sudha - such a lovely story and a lovely recipe. I've never had fish filets served like this, but no doubt, it would be wonderful. I LOVE the photo of the roses in the vase. You are very creative Dearie.

Amina Khaleel said...

fish o fillet looks amazing... it must have tasted delicious... will surely try this...

Vimitha Anand said...

Looks so perfectly done. Am drooling here

Purabi Naha said...

Really mouth-watering! And the picture is so appetizing, dear! Thanks for this delish recipe.
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

Soni said...

Love your stories Sudha. Thanks for your sweet comments and compliments on my blog :)Guess what, I've nominated you for a Leibster Award!Chk out my post!

Hazel at Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

What a clever idea! I love making my own version of things. I would definitely choose this over a Fish-O-Fillet! Love the idea of a veggie mash underneath. Delicious!

kitty said...

Oh Sudha, I love your stories! That's what I mean about getting to know people's personalities through their blogs. I'm so glad you have your own special HOME to call your own. Blessings, sweet girl & thanks for letting me visit.

Claudia said...

Doing it yourself is always better - these look fabulous and tilapia is perfect for this. Big moves are life-changing. If we're luck - we grow.

Jay said...

I love to have a taste of this wonderful dish..;P
Tasty Appetite

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

i totally understand what u must have gone through... my dad was in a transferable job & all through my childhood we kept changing places every 2 yrs or so! it was fun but a lil unsettling. the way u described ur house i have fallen in love with it... must be open & full of light!

Rathai said...

Hi Sudha,

I also LOVE fish and your fish fillets look scrumptious. I love how you have presented the dish. Very appetizing. I'm glad that you liked the fish bun recipe :) I know you love fish and now I also remember that you once wrote on your blog that you loved bread, especially freshly baked ones. :)

LinsFood said...

Oh I love these, Sudha, especially the potato mash cos it can be so easily made as a side dish with dhall and rice! Thanks for that, I'm definitely putting the aloo recipe on my fridge to make all the time! My family's going to love it! Lin xx

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

wow super duper ...bread...

Eftychia said...

It sounds very good! Bookmarked for a future reference.

Only Fish Recipes said...

absolutely mouth watering fish fillets !

Swati Sapna said...

I think there are so many of us here who totally identify with the hostel and "home" stories :) Lovely write-up Sudha. And so glad you have found ur own little corner of joy finally.
The fish fillet looks inviting!

Miz Helen said...

Sudha, this is a great idea to spice up the Tilapia just a bit. It looks like a great Fish O Fillet. Hope you have a wonderful week and Special Valentine's Day. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!