About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sweet n sour chilli chicken and an award in the New Year!

So the New Year has started rolling on a nice note for me, save for a runny nose, an occasionally grumbling stomach (all the feasting is finally taking its toll!) and aching limbs from all the walking and zooming around during my week-long vacation. It was a fantastic trip to Houston and San Antonio, stopping by the lovely landscaped city of Austin and busy Dallas.We had taken Texas by storm..ha ha!!
Meanwhile, two very loving friends of mine thought of me and my blog when they gifted me with the Inspirational Blog Award. Faseela, who owns a fantastic blog of her own at 'Good food ends with Good talk' and Rathai of 'Rathai's Recipes' have been very kind to give me this lovely award. Thanks so much Faseela and Rathai - I am humbled! This award has a very interesting aspect to it. I have to answer a couple of questions about myself and then pass it on to 8 more blogger friends, who will then pass it on to others to keep the chain going.
 Before talking more about the award, I will post the recipe for today. I had some uncooked chicken dwindling in my refrigerator after all the holiday feasting and I really wanted to make something which would be easy, quick and not too hard on the stomach. The recipe was there at the back of my mind and I thought this would be the best time to try, cause this is the easiest way on earth to cook chicken(took me just about 20 mins from start to finish!). And believe me, the chicken tasted absolutely divine! What better way to start off the New Year than with a dish having the subtle sweetness of fried onions, the sour tang of Soy sauce and the fiery spike of dry Red chilies!So here goes the recipe for Sweet and sour chilli chicken - soak it all up friends!!

Sending this recipe to 'Midweek Fiesta#10' at Amy's place, 'Hearth and Soul blog hop' and 'Full Plate Thursday' at Miz Helen's!

Sweet n sour chilli chicken
You will need:
Chicken(preferably with bones)  - 500 gms
Onions - 1 whole, finely julienned
Sugar - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Dry Red chilies - 4-5
Freshly ground black pepper - 1 tablespoon
Salt, as per taste
Tomato ketchup - 3 tablespoons
Soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Canola oil - 3 and 1/2 tablespoons, for cooking

How I made it:
1. In a wok, heat up the oil and when hot enough, fry the julienned onions till a light golden brown.

2. Drain the onions once done and keep aside on a kitchen towel to drain the excess oil. In the same oil, add the sugar and allow it to caramelize, stirring gently. Once the sugar gets dissolved, add the dry Red chilies and freshly ground black pepper powder and add in the chicken pieces. Fry the chicken pieces, covering occasionally with a lid till the pieces are cooked through. Add salt as per taste and keep on cooking till the chicken is cooked and golden brown on the outside.
 3. Once the chicken is cooked, add the tomato ketchup and the Soy sauce and mix everything together very well. The ketchup and soy sauce will form a thick gravy. Now put off the flame and serve the chicken. garnish the dish strewing the fried julienned onions over the dish and serve hot with plain white rice or any type of bread.Enjoy the smoky taste of the dish and revel in the flavors!

Now going back to the award, here are some questions that I had to answer about myself - interesting stuff:)

1. What makes you laugh, smile or giggle?
A funny joke makes me split my sides laughing (guffawing actually!) and it takes quite an effort to stop me - cause it keeps on coming back:) A witty repartee makes me smile and so does a witty gesture. I am all about wits, you see;)

2. What are your dreams for your future?

I do have dreams, but I never know if they will come true. So I don't really dream too much after a point. All I dream of now is to flow with the tide of life and live life unconditionally.

3. If you are going to a cruise, where would it be and why?

A: Egypt.This land has always been alluring to me and the rich history of the world that this land cradles agelessly in its folds makes it all the more enticing. I would cruise along the Nile and have a blast in Egypt!

4. How would you spend your vacation and with whom?

With family and friends, who give me joy and whom I enjoy to be with. A vacation for me is all about traveling, exploring, knowing more about and relaxing and every vacation that I've had till date has been an experience to remember!

5. If given a life, what life would you choose ? Your life now or your past?

Who knows what I was in the past!I live life in the present and will like to live each and every moment of it now itself.

6. Is there something that you wished before when you were young but you didn't get it?
Yes, there are a couple of them.But thinking about them doesn't actually make you get them - this is what life has taught me. So just let go!

7. Have you been in a situation where you might have given up but you still choose to move on?

Yes of course. But I believe it was not me that moved on - it was my destiny that made me move on.

8. Is there someone in your life who has been your source of strength and inspiration?

My Maa. She is my best friend and my best teacher and whatever little that I am doing today is because of her. Life has been a tough walk many a times, but I have always found here beside me - her strength of mind, her values  and her quality of being a good human being is what I try to imbibe every day.I am extremely proud of her and so is she of me:)

I am gladly passing on this award to the following talented and very favorite bloggers of mine.Please do come and accept your awards - thanks!

Puja at US Masala
Akheela at Torview
Reva at Kaarasaaram

Till we meet again, stay well and see you soon!

~~Featured recipe on my blog one year ago ~~
 

22 thoughtful musings left behind...:

notyet100 said...

Glad to know more of you,.wish ya great year ahead

kitty said...

Happy New Year, Sudha!! I loved reading that your Maa is your source of inspiration...how proud she must be of you!! What a lovely daughter you are.

faseela said...

Lovely answers.............great recipe....bookmarked....sounds so easy to prepare

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Sudha, your chili chicken looks so delicious and tempting.
My dear friend, thank you so much for the award, you're so thoughtful. A big hugs for you.
Happy new year to you and wishing you all the best in 2012.Have a nice day.

Blackswan said...

Congrats on the awards, Sudha! Gosh, sweet & sour chilli chicken is one of my fave dishes & I'm surprised a non-Chinese can cook this as well.

Hey, I'd love to visit Egypt too! Been an ex-Flight Attendant for 7yrs & travelled the world, I'm ashamed to admit I haven't been to Egypt. Lol!

Rathai said...

It's so nice to have you back Sudha. I especially love you writings, cheerful spirit and wit and hope to see more of these this year. Happy New Year!

Lizzy Do said...

Congratulations on your award!!! I loved reading the answers to your questions :) And your chicken dish looks simple and tasty~

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious combination looks wonderful

Eftychia said...

Simply delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia said...

Happy New Year! How are you?

Tina said...

Congrats on the award and Happy New Year!
This dish does look like a delicious way to start. I have had sweet and sour chicken, but nothing like this. The onions and the chilies are what really makes this one pretty tasty, loved the way you described this "smoky taste"-yum!

Amina Khaleel said...

Chicken looks delicious.. very well explained... will try it soon...
Congratulations for the award... thank you so much Sudha for sharing it with me...

Only Fish Recipes said...

sweet n sour chicken looks very delicious....wishing u n ur family a very happy new year :-)

Sudha said...

Thanks so much, notyet100!So glad to see you - how have you been?wish you too a great New Year ahead!

Thanks,dear Kitty!I really am proud of her - very proud:)Hope you had lovely Holidays with your family and wishes for a great New Year!

Hello Faseela - yes,its really very easy to prepare!Do try it and I'm sure you'll love it:)

Dear Amelia - the pleasure is all mine!Glad that it made you happy and thanks so much for coming:)

Hi Shirley - never mind that you couldn't be there so far - you still have time:)Wish that your dream comes true and wish you a great New Year ahead!

Thanks a lot,Rathai - these kind words from friends like you actually keep me going - thanks again:)

Thanks a ton,Lizzy - so glad to have you stop by:)

Thanks a bunch,Akheela - hope you liked the award:)

Hi Efty,
Thanks for your kind words and really glad to have you here:)

Hello dear Cynthia,
So great to see you again!I'm doing fine - so have you been?Wish you a great year ahead:)

Thanks a bunch,Tina!Really glad that you liked this dish!It is indeed a very tasty dish - something that I really really love:)

Dear Amina - the pleasure is all mine:)So glad that you liked the award and my chicken dish too:)

Thanks a lot,Sonali:)So nice to see you - my wishes for a lovely New Year ahead and lots of interesting recipes at your place!

Nava.K said...

Congrats on the blog and thats some honest sharing you have done. Btw, this recipe is simply awesome and something I too make at home but at times I add in some fried cashew nuts for the crunchy taste.

Sudha said...

Ohh that must taste gorgeous,Nava!Maybe I'll give that a try next time - thanks for sharing:)

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

Congrats on the awards! loved reading the questionaire.. even my mom is my best friend :)

Amy said...

Chili chicken looks delicious!!Thanks a lot for sending to my event...
& Congrats on your award...Happy to know more about you....
Wish you a very happy New Year!!

Sudha said...

Thanks so much,Deeps!Moms are actually a girl's best friend (even before diamonds!!!:)I have this event about Lentil happening at my place - would love to have you join in!!

Hey Amy,
Thanks so much!Really glad to know that you enjoyed my chili chicken dish so much:)Thanks for coming!!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations Sudha on you award. Your Sweet N Sour Chilli Chicken looks awesome, we would really enjoy it. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Alea Milham said...

This looks incredible! I love the combination of sweet, sour, and spicy. I can't wait to make this for my daughter, she loves sweet and spicy chicken. Thank you for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

this is a lovely looking recipe, infact the picture makes drool. you have a nice space, am first time here, glad to have found u, following u now, hope u come n visit my space some time too

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!