About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Potato and Chicken strips curry - curry in 15 minutes!

I don't mean to bore you with details of how busy I was the whole week - cause I know I do that too often!
 But I really was busy and so busy that I had a couple posts lying in draft but couldn't manage the time to get them up and running. The Husband was scared that I'll ask him to manage a day or two without lunch or dinner!Which however I didn't, cause I had other options for that, clever me:)I cooked and served as I always do,but little did the poor dear know that my recipes were full of shortcuts!No harm anyway,if you can manage to put something that is tasty,good to eat and filling,whaddya say?
 I have a lot of things to talk about, but I'll leave them for another post another day.Cause I still have some touching up to do on my recently concluded assignment.The only thing I wanted to say is a big 'THANK YOU' to my dear friend Ashwini from Indulge-Ashcorner who was so kind to think of me and gift me the 'Triple Cute Awards' and the 'Cherry on Top Award'.
 I have received these awards from two of my dear friends earlier, but it always feels so good to be appreciated!Thanks a bunch, dear Ash! Though I did share this with some very special friends last time, I don't mind doing it again - I will love to pass on this award to 9 of my very dear friends who are extremely talented bloggers.Please do take out time to visit their places as well as Ash's lovely blog and have a great time!

In no particular order, I am passing on these awards to -
Marsha at The Better Baker
Shirley at Luxury Haven
Tina at Flourtrader
Balvinder at Gluten Free Food
Deepthi at Naughty Curry

Now for today's recipe. It is a simple Potato and Chicken curry which gets prepared in a jiffy - 15 minutes to be precise! And the thing about this is that I cook it with store-bought cooked Chicken strips.I like using the ones available from Tyson but you can always use chicken cubes lying in your refrigerator. If you are using chicken cubes, you just need to poach the chicken pieces slightly with a little bit of salt and then roughly shred the poached chicken. For the store-bought Chicken strips, you just need to defrost.So here goes the recipe for my Potato and Chicken strips curry - have fun in making and eating it and have a lovely weekend!

Sending this curry recipe to the lovely event 'Hot n spicy treats' being hosted by Amy at her lovely blog 'Food Corner'. Do take a peek and join in to enjoy the spicy party!!


Potato and Chicken strips curry
You will need:
Potato - 2 whole medium potatoes, skinned and cubed into small squares
Cooked Chicken strips - 500 gms
Onions - 1 whole, thinly sliced
Garlic cloves - 3, finely minced
Ginger  - About an inch, finely minced
Tomato - 1 whole, diced roughly
green chilies - chopped
Spring onions - chopped
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Canola oil/Mustard oil - 2 tablespoons, for cooking

How I made it:
1. Defrost the cooked Chicken strips in the microwave and when done, chop into squares liked the cubed potatoes. The curry tastes a lot better when the potatoes and chicken pieces have the same shape (yes,it does make a difference!).

2. In a wok, heat the cooking oil. when hot enough, add the cubed potatoes and fry to a light golden brown. drain on a kitchen towel and keep aside.

3. In the same oil, add the minced garlic, chopped green chilies and minced ginger and saute lightly for a minute. Next add in the thinly slices onions and saute everything together. 

4. When the onions are lightly browned, add in the chopped tomatoes and cook on a high flame. When the tomato and spices turn into a mesh, add a pinch of salt, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder and half a cup of water. Cook everything together till the water evaporates and the spices brown up and turn into a puree. 

5. Now add the chopped green spring onions and give a quick mix. the crunch of the spring onions should be felt in the curry, so don't overcook them. Add in the fried potatoes next and the cubed Chicken strips, mix everything together and add a cup of water.Cover with a lid to let the potatoes cook. The Chicken strips are already cooked, hence they won't need any time to soften up - just need time to take in the spices.
 6. Keep on stirring in between and when the potatoes are cooked through and soft, put off the flame.The curry will have a mildly spiced gravy which will tasty heavenly with fresh Bread or Roti or plain white rice.Enjoy the dish and have fun!

20 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Rathai said...

Thank you, so much for the awards, Sudha. :) Honestly, I have never received so many awards at once (without having to answer any embarrassing questions too). :) I really feel honoured for having received these awards from you. Thank you, honey.

The potato and chicken strips curry looks lipsmacking. Both are my favourite ingredients and they go extremely well together! They look perfectly chopped and cooked.

Lizzy said...

Oh, aren't you sweet! Thanks so much for the lovely award AND for sharing another great recipe :)

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks wonderful deliciously done

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

thankyou SO MUCH for the sweet award, honoured :) i too find myself taking shortcuts while cooking, esp during one of those days when theres a thousand other things to do! as long it tastes great it doesnt matter hehe :D

faseela said...

Thanks a lot sudha for sharing with me the award........feel so honored, each award satisfies and motivates me a lot......Frankly to tell, i really love reading your comments which brings much enthusiasm, thank u so much dear.

Lovely combo....potato and chicken goes well....U have made it so perfectly and i love this type of curry without much gravy....shuld try this soon...

Kalyan said...

Just mouthwatering...looks so fresh, delectable & delicious!

Elpiniki said...

Looks so delicious!

Tina said...

I just had potatoes and chicken last night, however, yours does look so much more flavorful. Wish I had seen this earlier.
Congrats on all those awards. well deserved. I appreciate that you thought of me when passing these along, makes my day. Enjoy the weekend!

maha said...

yum and delicious...superb,.....

Aarthi said...

Awesome Recipe

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

A multi-dimensional life said...

Hi Sudha! It's so nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog and inviting me here. Your recipes look delicious and I can't wait to visit you often as well as try some of these wonderful looking dishes!

Balvinder Ubi said...

Thank you so much Sudha! I am honoured to share the awards with other friends. I have so many awards recently that, at first I thought I should not involve myself with anything like that. But I can't disappoint my friends. So really appreciate.
the potato and chicken curry seems delicious.

Claudia said...

I raised 2 kids, countless pets all the while working 2-3 freelance jobs at a time - can you tell I love shortcuts? It was how I got through the day and put dinner on the table that was not from a window! And I adore curry - particularly with potatoes and chicken. How did you know?

Kitchen Flavours said...

never made it combo....looks yum....

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

awesome recipe..i never made potato chicken combo

kankana said...

I am a potato and meat lover and this recipe would be perfect for those busy day!

Amalia said...

This looks so delicious! I love potatoes and chicken, they make for the best meal! But I love the curry, it adds a pop of flavor and color that just takes it up a notch! Congratulations on the award, you deserve it, I love all your recipes :) Can't wait to see what's next!

Rettabug said...

Sudha, you create some of the most interesting & diverse meals...so different from the things I grew up eating. I love that you can throw them together quickly...my kind of cooking most days. I look forward to trying this one.

Thank you for asking about my hand. It has healed well but my foot still aches! I'm going up & down stairs very S--L--O--W--L--Y these days & holding the handrail.

fondly,
Rett

The Better Baker said...

Thanks so much Sweet Lady for thinking of me with these lovely awards. I am honored to be a recipient.

Amy said...

looks delicious!!Potato with chicken is always a great combo...thanks for sharing..

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!