About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pineapple Chutney or Relish - something sweet for a special day!

Woke up this morning to the sound of dried maple leaves scratching at the timbered balcony floor just outside my bedroom window. It was a sunny day with the sun high up already and a willowy gentle breeze conjured up the image of a lithe maiden being graciously serenaded to rippling soft music. The winter this year has been pretty mild - till now, that is. But time and again, people around me have said that winter does play tricks in this part of the world. Last year, snow had buried everything towards the end of February - this is how mischievous it can actually get!
 With the sun rays peeping through the folds of the blinds, I opened my eyes to a special day.A journey of five long years culminated today once again in a bond of caring,loving and understanding each other. It was our fifth wedding anniversary!

It has been a checkered smorgasbord of sorts this far - just like any other couple, we have had our happy moments and fun-filled memories and also our share of fights, sulks and misunderstandings. Five long years had taken me through a roller coaster ride of rediscovering myself in constantly changing roles, bringing a matured approach to the way I think and and even coaxed me to re-appraise some of my own thoughts and beliefs.As a young girl, I never thought much about how it would feel to get married. But once I was actually married, the change would overwhelm me at times.It was a world of difference and the realization took some time to sink in.Things were not always easy and there were ups and downs - but our soulful wish to make things succeed worked towards helping our companionship emerge unscathed!
 Throughout the years, we learnt exactly where to stop a skirmish so that it wouldn't take a bitter turn, where to let go of something to achieve a greater level of happiness instead, where to draw the line for prying eyes so our 'us-time' would be still ours!Believe me, it was not always easy but at the end of everything, the fact that we both grew up in our relationship together was the greatest takeaway.When it still dawns on us that the absence of the other is very poignantly missed, and when fond memories of each such Sunday afternoon when we wear ourselves out guffawing silly over a funny movie are all that we want to come back to time and again - it feels that the journey has been worthwhile.Life is indeed the greatest Master of all - you may not score at the top of your class for each course you take, but it is the cumulative grade at the end of the year that actually matters!
 In keeping with that, I am posting my sweet Pineapple Chutney or Relish for today's post. It is an interesting jumble of sweet from the pineapple and sugar and fiery from the dry red chilies - just the perfect flavor of life!

Sending this to 'Midweek Fiesta # 14' at my dear friend Amy's place!Do check out her lovely blog!

Pineapple Chutney or Relish
You will need:
Fresh Pineapple - cut into chunks. You may also use the dried variety,provided it has some flavor in it.
Castor sugar - 3/4th of a cup
Water - 1 and 1/2 cups
Ginger - About an inch, finely minced
Dry Red chilies - 2 or 3
Panch Phoron - 1/2 a teaspoon (This is an Indian-Bengali spice consisting of five kinds of seeds together.Easily available in any Asian/Indian store). In case you do not find it, substitute with 1/4th of a teaspoon of Nigella seeds.
Lime juice - 2 tablespoons
A pinch of salt
Canola oil/Mustard oil/vegetable oil - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons, for cooking

How I made it:
1. After chopping the pineapple, dice into bite-size chunks.In a wok, heat the cooking oil and when hot, add in the Panch Phoron or Nigella seeds, as available and the dry Red chilies. Allow to splutter.

2. In a separate bowl, add the sugar and water and mix well with a spoon. When the red chilies start to splutter, add in the sugar water. Add a pinch of salt and the minced ginger and put the flame on high.

3. After a minute or two, add in the chopped pineapple chunks and put the flame on medium-high. The sugar water should get thickened slowly while the pineapple chunks get cooked.Stir occasionally.

4. When the sugar syrup gets fairly thickened up and takes on a reddish glossy hue, check if the pineapples are cooked.The pineapples will hold their shape, so we just need to check if they are soft enough to be eaten.Put off the flame and allow to cool down.
 5. When the Chutney has cooled down a bit, sprinkle the lime juice. This Chutney is best served cooled. If you want to have a runny consistency (for having this with rice or Indian Flatbread or Paratha), put off the flame while the syrup is still slick. If you want a preserve type of consistency, you can thicken the syrup a little while longer.Your Pineapple Chutney is ready!

31 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Hema said...

Happy Anniversary, a perfect dish reflecting the different tastes in life..

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Sudha, happy anniversary.
your chutney looks appetizing and lovely click too. Have a nice day.

Elpiniki said...

Happy Anniversary!
This dish looks so delicious!

faseela said...

Happy Anniversary dear.......superbly prepared chutney....delish

Tina said...

Happy fifth anniversary, my friend. It is nice to look back and realize all the things that have taken place in the journey of being a part of a couple. I wish you more wondrous years!
You did pick my favorite when making this chutney-pineapple! That serving sure does entice, so much that I know it would require a double recipe in this house! Happy Monday.

maha said...

i heard about it..never tried..looks awesome.......Happy Anniversary!

Kalyani's Platter said...

very new one to me and looks delicious .....

Indulge said...

Happy anniversary and wishing many more such to enjoy and cherish. The chutney is apt for the occasion with bit of tang and bit of sweetness and right amount of heat, which is needed in any relation to make it interesting and worth cherishing.
Love Ash.

The Better Baker said...

Happy Happy Anniversary to you! This recipe looks and sounds wonderful...wish you could serve it to me as my hubby doesn't care for pineapple, and I'd have to eat it all myself. =) Thanks for sharing your wonderful dishes with us.

Claudia said...

Love how this is spiced - the sweet and the tang - just lovely. Life's a journey. Marriage is a journey - happy anniversary - enjoy the ride.

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy side dish looks wonderful

Patsy said...

Happy anniversary, dear Sudha! I have never seen a dish like this! It sounds wonderful!

Rumana Rawat said...

That looks a real awesome:)

Rathai said...

What a pleasant surprise and coincidence, Sudha, my parents were also celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary on the 29th of January. I hope you guys had a lovely day! The pineapple chutney looks divine.

/Hugs
Rathai

Rettabug said...

Happy #5 Anniversary, Sudha! May you share many, many more happy, HEALTHY years together.

Our 25th is coming up in 2 weeks. Your post brings back fond memories of how it was in the beginning...lots of compromises with give & take on both sides. A good way to live your life!

fondly,
Rett

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

A very happy anniversary! beautiful words, loved reading every bit (u do have a wonderful way with words). A fitting tribute for 5 years of togetherness, hope you both had a fabulous time celebrating :) the chutney looks delish, all tangy & sweet

Lizzy said...

Oh, your chutney looks amazing...how I adore pineapple! And happy anniversary to you!!! It sounds like your marriage is a wonderful partnership...I wish you many, many more years of happiness.

Swathi Iyer said...

Happy anniversary. wishing many more years of togetherness. This pineapple chutney looks delish.

kankana said...

This is a treat from home and i love to enjoy it with some crackers and at times even with some mutton curry !

Balvinder Ubi said...

You know I have a weakness for chutneys. I am the only one who eat finish the chutneys when ever I make. Next I am going to make Pineapple chutney. This looks delicious.

Balvinder Ubi said...

I just missed the middle Part. Happy Wedding Anniversary. Looking forward for many more sweet dishes like these and wishing you a sweet relationship all through life.

Indie.Tea said...

Ooo, that sounds delicious. And I really like the way the yellow-gold pineapple looks with those black seeds/spices - yum!

kitty said...

Oh, Sudha, a very Happy Anniversary to the both of you!! I loved reading your sweet post. May you have many more years of love & happiness.

Amina Khaleel said...

happy anniversary Sudha :)... pineapple relish looks delicious...

Only Fish Recipes said...

delicious n mouthwatering relish !

Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style said...

Your pineapple chutney is like a ray of sunshine... Just delicious!

Suchi said...

Hi Sudha,

I love your food pics and also the name of your blog. I love alliterations and you have a wow thing going with w :-)

Cheers,

Suchi

vineetha said...

First time here..Happy anniversary to you...enjoyed ur poetic write up.
Glad to follow u. pine apple chutney looks yumm...

Cheryl and Adam said...

Pineapple lovers here and your chutney looks and sounds marvelous. Happy Anniversary!

The Pumpkin Farm said...

wow Sudha, this looks perfect, wish I had seen this earlier, just discarded(gave away) the pineapple as no one was interested in eating it raw

Amy said...

chutney looks so yummy!!& wish you both a Happy 5th Annivasary!!Sorry for late wishes,(Still I am catching up after a holiday :))I enjoyed reading this nice post,what you have written is common to most of us & nicely written....

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!