About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My favorite Caramel Pudding

If you have been wondering where I've managed to disappear - nowhere actually! Its just that I have been thinking of changing my blog template for a while. And not having found the time to look for an appealing template, I decided to stay satiated with going just for a new header, as of now. So if you see right up there - I have a new header!!
  Also, I have been cooking some interesting things in the meantime. And baking too! I have always loved puddings - jiggly stuff that look so innocent on the outside but contain a whole treasure trove of flavor and lovely goodness on the inside. I was just Googling about puddings the other day, and it was so interesting to know that puddings actually mean a whole range of desserts across continents! Back home in India, Pudding is basically a baked dessert item which is slight jiggly, creamish white and has a whole lot of sugar and eggs in it, not to mention milk. Ditto in the UK and some European countries. However, some Indian cuisines add a new dimension to puddings with the inclusion of rice and jaggery, namely yummy rice puddings. In the US, puddings generally refer to the creamy concoction and chocolate reigns supreme in most store-bought pudding varieties. So there is no conclusive definition of what a pudding actually means! To a dessert lover like me, it just means something nice and sweet and something that I got to dig my teeth into, without much ado..tee hee!
 On the day I made this Caramel pudding, I had actually set out to make bread and butter pudding. But just at the nick of time, my good fairy paid me a visit and warned me of all the calories that I had already managed to put on these last couple of weeks! Good sense prevailed - but a pudding I had to make!So then I settled for this very simple, easy-peasy and absolutely divine Caramel pudding, which just has milk, sugar and eggs. I will post this recipe for today and hope you will make it in your homes and find out for yourself how sumptuous it tastes. This is more or less like Flan, but unlike Flan, I do not flip it over for the Caramel side to be on top.For me, rich golden caramel splurges out with each gorgeous spoonful of pudding and bursts into magical flavors inside the mouth.Try this out and enjoy - till we meet again!

Sharing this with 'Midweek Fiesta # 11' at Amy's place and 'Hearth and Soul blog Hop # 82'!

Also linking this specially to Miz Helen's 'Full Plate Thursday' where she is celebrating her first blog anniversary today:) So do visit her wonderful place and join in the fun!

Caramel Pudding
You will need:
Whole milk - 2 cups
Sweetened Condensed milk - 1/2 cup
Granulated Castor sugar - 1 cup and 5 tablespoons
Water - 1 cup
2 large eggs
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon 

How I made it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and keep a baking tin ready. If you want to invert your pudding, butter the sides and base of the tin. I do not invert mine, hence I do not butter my baking tin.

2. In a large bowl, take the whole milk and empty the sweetened condensed milk in it. Add 5 tablespoons of sugar and put everything together on the flame while stirring constantly. It will initially be a bit tough to stir, but as the condensed milk loosens up, the stirring will become easier. Take care not to burn and keep on stirring till the liquid comes to a boil.Once it comes to a boil, take it off the heat and allow to cool down slightly.

3. In another bowl, take 1 cup of sugar and add 1 cup of water to it and put in on the flame. Allow the sugar to caramelize and when it changes color, put off the heat and pour the caramelized sugar in the baking tin.Allow it to settle nicely at the base.

4. In another large bowl, beat two eggs roughly with a spoon. Squirt a small amount of the boiled milk into the eggs and beat swiftly. Take care that the milk has cooled down a bit or the eggs will get cooked in the heat. Do this 2-3 times till the eggs are beaten well. Now add whole of the milk to the egg mixture and stir very nicely with a spatula so that everything comes together.Add vanilla extract and give another good mix.
  5. Now pour the milk-egg mixture into the baking tin with caramel at the base. Make the baking tin sit in another baking tin with high edges to create a water bath. Pour water into the outer tin till water reaches just the middle of the inner baking tin. Put inside the preheated oven and allow to bake for 40-45 minutes. When the top of the pudding is slightly scorched to a pale golden and is still jiggly on the sides, you know that your pudding is done. Take out of the oven, allow to cool down and then keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours to set. You may even serve it warm - tastes delicious anyway!

28 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Lizzy Do said...

Oh, my. This looks amazing!!! I'm trying to be good, but I really want your caramel delight!

PS...I'm going to have to make another lentil soup!!! Rats. A girlfriend told me Ina had a wonderful recipe...I'll look it up tonight :)

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking pudding
I like the header I hope you are seeing my posts on the reader :)
regards Akheela

Amina Khaleel said...

wow! your pudding looks fabulous... so soft and delicious..
we usually make caramel pudding in an idly steamer with less milk and more eggs... will try your version soon...

Little Mommy said...

Yumm! This looks great :)

kitty said...

Sudha, this looks incredible!! I can just taste the creamy goodness of this special dessert.

Swathi said...

Sudha,

This caramel pudding delicious, Love your header. I to always plan for template and end up changing the header. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

Aarthi said...

Really Yummy recipe..Would love to give it a try…Thank you so much for posting this..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Teri@thefreshmancook said...

This looks so wonderful. I linked to you from Miz Helen's Full Plate. I am going to try to make this pudding over the weekend. It looks sinfully good!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Sudha, your caramel pudding looks very tempting and delicious. Wish I can have some now.LOL
Have a nice day.

Ambreen said...

It made my mouth water, looks so delicious! Nice header, too :)

faseela said...

Amazing preperation dear.............superb

Tina said...

This picture and delicious recipe certainly puts store bought pudding to shame! Homemade pudding has such a better quality to it. Your caramel pudding looks amazing and I love the choice of flavor-delicious post.

Hazel at Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Great description of caramel pudding - so simple yet so delicious! Lovely photos.

DV said...

Super-yummy! I just wann lick a spoon off the monitor!

Padhu said...

Looks irresistible!

Rathai said...

The pudding looks really delicious and I am loving your new header as well.

The Better Baker said...

OOO - my mouth is watering for sure. Looks sooo good! You have SUCH a way with words and I sure enjoyed reading your post. I am pinning this lovely recipe to make one day. I'm a caramel freak.

Debbie said...

I look forward to giving this a try. Thanks for sharing it.

maha said...

pudding looks really delicious and Iam ur new follower dear.

maha
http://mahaslovelyhome.blogspot.com/

Patsy said...

I love puddings, and this one sounds so delicious and comforting. I MUST make this the next time my great-grandson comes to visit!

Sudha said...

Thanks so much Lizzy:)Ina's recipe will definitely be a bonus for all of us - so best of luck to you!!

Thanks,dear Akheela!Love reading your posts!

Dear Amina, you are absolutely right!That is how my Maa makes pudding too - more eggs and less milk.But I just wanted to balance them out a bit and believe me,this recipe works!

Thanks Little Mommy - so glad you came!

Thanks a ton,dear Kitty!This sure tastes lovely - a simple recipe for a very tasty dessert.So glad to have you stop by:)

Ditto here,Swathi.Glad to know that you liked the header - thanks so much for coming!

Thanks Aarthi - do give this a try sometime and I'm sure you'll enjoy the taste:)

Thanks so much for coming,Teri - it was lovely meeting you and do keep on coming back!

Hello Amelia - so glad that you liked the pudding.I wish I could share it with you dear:)Thanks so much for coming!

Hello Ambreen - thanks a bunch!Waiting for your lovely posts to come back soon:)

Thanks dear Faseela - glad that you liked my pudding recipe!

Hi Tina,
You are right about the quality - homemade products give you the satisfaction that you've put in the best you had - specially when you feed it to family and friends.Lovely having you here dear:)

Dear Hazel - thanks so much and glad that you paid me a visit!Do keep on coming back!

Dear DV - you words made me laugh out,dear - I so wish I could share this pudding with you:)Thanks so much!

Thanks a ton,Padhu and it was lovely to see you here!Do keep on visiting!

Dear Rathai - so glad that you liked my recipe and my new header!Thanks for coming and caring to leave me a sweet comment dear:)

Dear Marsha,
It would be lovely if you give this a try sometime - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!Loved to know that you enjoy reading my posts - no better reward for me than such kind words from my friends:)

Thanks so much for coming,Debbie and glad that you liked my recipe:)See you soon!

Dear Maha,
So nice meeting you and thanks for coming over and joining me:)Do keep on coming back!

Sudha said...

Dear Patsy,
sure do give this a try and I'm sure your great-grandson will love this:)Hope you are doing good and wish you a lovely weekend ahead!

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

yum! i love that dark golden caramel oozing out of the sides :)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Sudha,
This is such a delicate and tasty pudding. I just love a pudding like this and would really enjoy your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing on our 1st Anniversary Party for Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

LinsFood said...

This is one of my all time favourite puddings! I've never made it with condensed milk, will have to try yours! x

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Thank you for sharing this delicious pudding with the Hearth and Soul hop. I love caramel, and this looks so comforting and yummy!

Soni said...

Ooh I just love the look of your pudding!Mouthwatering and delicious!Have to try it.Btw first time on your blog and loving the recipes :)

Amalia said...

I was just like you, I wanted to change up my blog, but it's always so hard to sit down and figure everything out. It's takes a lot of time, but I love your blog either way! And your new header looks awesome, I really like it :) And gosh this caramel pudding looks good! It really does look like a flan...mmm, a really ooey gooey flan! Just what I could use at the moment :)

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!