About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Saturday, January 28, 2012

A much yearned for street food - Beetroot Cutlets

Some years back, I remember watching a BBC documentary series on 'Street Food'. The series was very interesting in that the anchors would travel to different cities all over the world and deeply explore the street food culture prevalent in that part of the world. It was so interesting to discover that the concept of street food in an universal concept. So much so that street food plays a very important role in even shaping the character of a city!
Talking about street food, I cannot pen down a single line further without drooling mentally at the thought of street food in my own city back home. The fried savories used to be my absolute weaknesses. Although we were sternly warned against having them too frequently - there is not much guarantee to the hygiene around street foods after all - an occasional trip to the local street food seller would be granted, after much persuasion.And then there would be no stopping thereafter!
  After moving to the US, I often tried recreating those amazing street foods in my own kitchen.Unfortunately, the taste didn't turn out to be the same and achieving that- as I have come to understand - is just next to impossible!However, I am not easily dissuaded - cause I just cannot do without fried savories, specially if we have friends coming over for tea.So the other day, I had a lot of fresh beets lying in my refrigerator and I decided in a jiffy to try my hand at making Beetroot cutlets. This was quite a lofty ambition, since I had never made Beetroot cutlets at home before and there was no other fallback option to depend on for my guests!Hoping for the best, I set sail and believe me - what my friends said was music to my ears!Apparently, these cutlets were the closest to the street Beetroot Cutlets back home.The crispy savory Cutlets made me the star of the day - and we spent a lovely evening, munching on them with steaming cups of ginger tea.So here goes the recipe for my homemade Beetroot cutlets - hope they will impress you too and just like me, make you the uncontested star of the day! 

Linking this up to Akheela's lovely 'Tea Time Snack event' at her lovely blog...
 and also sending this to Anusha's lip-smacking event 'Street Foods'!

This is also my third entry to Vardhini's event 'New U' where evrything new you are trying this new year is welcome! 
 Last but the least, sending this to 'Midweek Fiesta # 14' at my dear friend Amy's place and 'Full Plate Thursday' at dear Miz Helen's cute cottage!Do check out her lovely blog!


Beetroot Cutlets
You will need (for approx. 15-16 cutlets)
For the filling:
Potatoes - 2 (if medium) or 1 (if large), skinned
Onion - 1 whole, sliced finely
Carrots - 1 cup, shredded
Beetroots - 2 whole, shredded
Green peppers - finely sliced
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves, finely minced
Ginger - About an inch, finely minced
Green chilies - finely chopped
Salt
Black pepper
Chat Masala -1 teaspoon (easily available in any Indian store)
Cumin powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Roasted peanuts

For the coating:
Cornflour/All purpose flour - 4 teaspoons
Lukewarm water - 6 teaspoons
Breadcrumbs - 2 cups

Vegetable oil/Canola oil - 2 tablespoons for the filling and 4 tablespoons for deep frying the cutlets

How I made them:
1. To begin, cut the potatoes in halves and boil in water till the potatoes are soft and mashable. You can soften the potates in the microwave as well (10 mins on high) but I prefer boiling them in water, because that helps retain the moisture in them.

2. While the potatoes boil, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok and when hot enough, add the chopped garlic, ginger and green chilies. Saute lightly for a minute or so and then add in the sliced onions and green peppers.

3. Next add in the shredded carrots and beetroots and cook well till the carrots and beetroot lose their rawness. In the meantime, check on the potatoes. Mash them to a smooth paste with a potato masher or simply with the back of a spoon.

4. Add in the mashed potato to the cooked veggies and mix everything together with a wooden spatula. It will take some time for the potato to even out but keep on mixing well till everything comes together. Season with salt, black pepper powder and Chat Masala and throw in the roasted peanuts. Your filling for the cutlet is now ready.

5. In a bowl, add in the cornflour/flour and lukewarm water and stir to form a viscous liquid good enough to coat the cutlets. Spread out the breadcrumbs onto a plate plate and lightly season with salt and black pepper powder.

6. In a deep-bottomed pan, heat 4 tablespoons of oil. To form the cutlets, pinch out a small ball from the potato filling mixture with your fingertips, roll between the palms of your hand and then flatten it out to form a round,circular patty. Dip it first in the cornflour/flour mixture and then drop onto the breadcrumbs. Coat very well on both sides and shake of any excess breadcrumb. Form all the cutlets in this manner before you start to fry them.
7. Immerse the crumb-coated cutlets in hot oil and fry on both sides till golden brown. Take care not to over fry and burn the cutlets, since breadcrumbs can burn too easily. Serve piping hot with thinly cut onion roundlets and Tomato ketchup. Savor the myriad flavors of this awesome street food to your heart's fill!

23 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Tina said...

I am sure glad you persevered in the kitchen with trying these. They look delicious, your friends are lucky they got to enjoy them. However, there is nothing better than the feeling you get when your creation brings rave reviews. Great recipe, Sudha...now time to for me to get some beetroot...

Elpiniki said...

They look great! I never cook beetroot like this, but sounds really interesting!

faseela said...

wow...congrats ....we all really love to hear the same, we will b fully satisfied by that...

Beet cutlets r amazingly suoer dear

Indulge said...

Beet roots in anything is fun and if its good for your health, is what makes it worth having. I also love to add them to my cutlets and also pav bahji. the color they give the dish takes it to different level.Try it and let me know.
Love Ash

maha said...

looks great! never tried with beetroot , but sounds interesting!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Sudha, looks interesting and delicious. I like all the spices that is in this recipe, the cutlet should be very tempting. Have a nice day.

Aarthi said...

They Look Yummy

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Anu said...

Looks yumand healthy snack

Shri said...

Beets are not a favourite but they work well in recipes like this!

Hema said...

They look so crispy and soft at the same time, love the color and the clicks..

Umm Mymoonah said...

Beautifully shaped cutlets, looks very yummy!

LinsFood said...

I love Street foods from all cultures. I've never come across these though, really am wondering what the taste is like. Guess there's only one way to find out! Thanks for sharing, like you, I love fried snacks like these but only as treats! xx

Anzz said...

So crispy, tasty and healthy. Good one..!


My event- Valentines Day Special

Lizzy said...

I love beets, but have never seen them made into a cutlet! These sound amazing!!! Truly yummy!

Amina Khaleel said...

cutlets look amazing... perfectly made.. my favourite as well....

Torviewtoronto said...

thank you for linking this delicious looking cutlets to the event

Vardhini said...

At first sight they look like vadai :) Yummy cutlets and thx for linking to the event.

Vardhini
Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

love that colour! nice touch with the roasted peanuts, they must have given it a delecious crunch... love street food too but i always prefer the home cooked version that way we can always adjust the spice/sweet & ofcourse no limit is there :)

Eri said...

Beetroot what??? Amazing! Do you think they can be done in the oven? Thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

Really good street food is such a treat!

Kavi said...

woaah! There are so many ingredients in this one! Looks awesome, though!

Amy said...

Thanks for the recipe,I have never used beetroot in cutlets.Now this is a new idea grabbed from you....& they look tasty.Good to have for tea time

Miz Helen said...

Sudha,
I can almost taste this wonderful cutlet with the wonderful spice combination and all the veggies. I would just love it! Hope you have a wonderful week and Special Valentine's Day. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!