About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Beetroot mishmash with Peanuts

The first time around I landed in North America, I was faced with a heart-breaking dilemma. I had flown into Canada just towards the end of the fall season. The last of the amber colored leaves hung on precariously to their shriveled stalks, ready to trip off the branches.It reminded me of the locks of hair I was losing at an alarming rate. I had always been blessed with healthy, strong and black hair, thanks to my genes and had never experienced hair loss at this rate before!
 I wept copious tears to all and sundry and let no one in my vicinity leave without haranguing about my tremendous loss.Well-wishers poured in with probable reasons ranging from my scalp being shocked by the drastic temperature change to icy, cold winds wrecking havoc on my hair strands.I bought a fashionable blue woolen cap to cover whatever little was left of my tresses whenever I went out in the snow.The rate of hair loss went down a bit but nothing really worked in replenishing what I had already lost!

So down I went, searching frantically around the Internet, when one day I chanced upon a very decrepit looking website promising a couple of herbal remedies. Being an avid net-surfer, I know just how spammy these websites can be, but something told me to take a look around and browsing through the page, I found a mention of Artichoke. That thorny cactus-like vegetable that I never cared to give a second glance at and thought to be more fitting in some sandy desert rather than the veggie shop stand! But now I was softening up a bit - that is exactly what happens to your vanity when it is on the receiving end!The method was easy - boil the artichoke leaves in a good amount of water till all the leaves get wilted, then strain the water and apply it to your scalp and hair. Shampoo later on and feel the difference in four weeks.
The initial feeling was yuck!The strained artichoke juice clung on to my hair and dried on it,making it feel like slippery rubber tubes!Yes, that is exactly how it felt the first time - but something urged me to go on.Sometimes it benefits to keep on pursuing something without a pint of faith in it - you just feel so elated when you have concrete results! Sure enough, I found little curly strands of hair sticking out of the edges of my forehead within about a month's time.I was overjoyed!Whether it was the artichoke that worked or the loads of veggies that I had been having in the meantime - I will never know.But I am still carrying on that regimen even here in the US. Although the cold here is not as pressing as it was in Canada, I am still taking all measures and it has never been the same!
 Which is what bring me back to today's post. The morale of all my banter is that - never belittle seemingly timorous veggies - you never know when they can rise to the occasion and steal the show!Just like the stack of beetroot stem and veggies that were lying quietly in a corner of my refrigerator after I had cooked the beetroot but kept them aside instead of casting them into the trash bin. Will be of some use to me sometime, I thought and rummaged for recipes. There were loads of recipes for beetroots but none for the stems and leaves, unfortunately. So I decided to try a very quick and tasty trick to cook them - something that is done in my native cuisine with other leafy greens. I prepared a mishmash, throwing in peanuts and served hot with plain white rice. It was such a delicacy to have, believe me and I was so happy that I had been able to put it to use ultimately!So forgive me for naming the dish 'Beetroot mishmash' - it should actually be 'beetroot stems and leaves' mishmash.But then, what's in a name after all? Enjoy the dish and have fun!

Sending this to the exciting event 'New U' at Vardhini's place! 

Also sending this to a very exciting event titled 'Just 4 Fun' at Shobha's beautiful place. 
This is an event with a twist since it calls for a dish using only 4 ingredients.  Quite challenging to figure out something to suit that - so check out the event and have fun!!

Beetroot mishmash with peanuts
You will need:
Beetroot stems and leaves of 3 beetroots - Chopped finely
Black mustard seeds - 3/4th of a teaspoon
Pinch of salt
Peanuts - 3 tablespoons (optional)
Mustard oil - 1 tablespoon
Dry Red chili/ Green chili- 1or 2, as per your taste

How I made it:
1. In a skillet, heat the mustard oil. When hot, add the black mustard seeds and dry red chilies or green chilies and allow them to splutter.

2. Next add the chopped beetroot steams and leaves and cover with a lid, allowing the veggies to wilt.Stir occasionally so that the leaves do not stick to the pan.

3. In a separate skillet, roast the peanuts till slight golden and keep aside.Now check on the veggies and add a pinch of salt. The veggies will get wilted and will reduce to half the initial volume. It will release some water so no need to add water from outside,unless the veggies become absolutely dry.
 4. When the stems and leaves and cooked through but still juicy and succulent, add the roasted peanuts.Mix together and then put off the flame. Serve hot with plain white rice or have it as such as a tasty salad.

25 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Aarthi said...

This look Delicious…You have made it awesome..Totally YUMMO..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

very simple & healthy, & love that deep pink too :) u know what, i went through the exact same thing when we shifted to the US. I tried everything but my hairfall didnt reduce & funnily after we came back to India it stopped falling! i wonder though what is the reason? could it be the chlorinated water...

maha said...

nice one.gud idea of adding peanuts.never tried it..

Indulge said...

If your hair fall trick works, I am ready to get the cactus home..Hair here and gone tomm is what is the thing for me. About the beets, I never liked them back home where the beets were really flavorful and juicy, coming to US I am in love with them, not the case with my kids, so I am hiding them in all possible things from the Punjabi gravies to pav bhaji.. cannot deny the awesome color they impart and with so many spices going on, taste is really insignificant. Next attempt is to try them in veggie spring rolls and see how they taste. MY mom makes a very simple raita from boiled beets.
Love Ash.

faseela said...

awesome beets recipe....attractive color too

Tina said...

This is a delicious combo of sweet and salty-so I would have to vote on eating it by itself-yum! Great dish.
Personally I thing that hair is way to sensitive. It can be harmed by taking pharmaceuticals, any stress level in your life and a change of environment. I am surprised that any of us have any at all! Glad that you have found a helpful remedy. Have a great weekend.

Ansh said...

You are a gifted writer and to top it you even have a remedy for hair loss! Loved the post.

Just one question - do we have to boil one artichoke every time we wash the hair or do we use the water like an oil treatment and use it as long as it lasts?

Julie said...

Lovely post,beet n peanuts great combo..

Erivum Puliyum

Amina Khaleel said...

fantastic post... you are indeed a fabulous writer... and i am glad that you have found a remedy for your hair loss...
nice combination of beetroots and peanuts... looks delicious..

Sudha said...

Thanks so much Aarthi!Glad that you liked it:)

Deeps,it could be the chlorinated water - and it could be the climate change as well.Just as you mood tends to change with climatic changes, so also does our skin.And the scalp is a part of the skin!This is what I have been able to deduce.Thanks so much for coming btw:)

Thanks Maha,do give this a try sometime - think you'll like it:)

Dear Ash,
It does work and I've recommended it to a couple of other people who have vouched for it.So you jolly well give it a try!As for beets, they have a high nutrient quotient and are really good for health.So disguise if you must, but make sure that your kids have them.I too am planning to experiment a bit more with beets - so keep posted:)

Thanks so much,Faseela!So sweet of you to stop by!

You are right,Tina - given that the stress that we are exposed to everyday,no wonder that our hair is suffering.But the artichoke was a life-saver I tell you!Glad that you liked my dish dear and thanks so much for dropping in:)

Dear Ansh,
Thank you so much for coming - glad to have you here!You can use the strained juice as long as it lasts.One artichoke will yield about 3/4th of a glass of juice - just apply it like you would apply oil on your hair,specially towards the hair roots.Beware of an acrid,grassy smell though and the murky greenish color of the juice - but as long as it works,everything else is ok, right?:)

Glad that you liked it,Julie and thanks so much for coming:)

That was so sweet of you,Amina - thanks dear:) Really happy to know that you liked my dish.Have a great weekend!

Amy said...

I can imagine how were your feelings by seen a rapid hair loss.Glad this herbal remedy worked for you...
I really love to eat stems & leaves of beet root,now adding peanuts with it is a new idea for me,I can imagine the crunchy taste, want to try it next time...

Kalyan said...

Just mouthwatering...looks so fresh & delicious!

Vicki Bensinger said...

Sudha how horrifying for you to have experienced that upon arriving in the states but what a fantastic discovery. I've never heard of that but will definitely share it with some that I know are also experiencing hair loss.

Your dish sounds interesting and comforting. I've never used mustard oil before but I'm sure it lends a delicious flavor to this dish and others. I'll have to seek it out.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It's always nice to have new friends. I'm now following you as well.

Have a wonderful weekend!

kitty said...

Oh Sudha, you poor dear! I'm so sorry about your hair loss, but so encouraged by your remedy. I'm so glad that your hair is growing back. What an ordeal that must have been for you. Hugs sent to you!

Vardhini said...

Glad that the artichoke worked for the hair loss. It sure must have been alarming.

Coming to the dish, I am in for anything peanuts :). Healthy dish and thx for linking to the event.

Vardhini
Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

Eftychia said...

Beetroots are a rich source of iron. This recipe looks healthy and delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

So glad it worked. It's still cold in Canada!

SerenaB said...

I had never heard artichoke can help with hair loss! What a great little bit of info! Also your beet roots look delish! I hope you have a wonderful week and look forward to reading your posts!

Ann said...

Wow - I can only imagine how traumatic that was! The beetroot mishmash looks delicious - I'm a fan of beets....and artichokes!

Balvinder Ubi said...

Sudha,winters are not bad in Vancouver. But, yeah I have heard of hair loss a lot. It could be because of using hot water. Anyway good to learn about artichokes and it worked for you.Your beet mish mash looks great. I don't normally cook this because my daughter does not like but I add it in the juice to get the vibrant colour and taste.
Thanks for visiting and following, I am already a follower of yours.

Maayeka said...

awesome!!!simple, healthy and so beautiful...great presentation

Now Serving said...

Hi Sudha, Thanks for letting me know - Do send em the link to your lentil event so I can link my adais and done more dish I have made t'day- i can't seem to find it - Thank YOU for your lovely words too and I hope you will join my blog too -
Cheers, Priya

Rathai said...

You really caught my attention with your story about the hair loss and artichoke. I have been suffering from hair loss for many years now, so I have learnt to live with it almost. I will try and see if this artichoke treatment works. I would feel on top of the world if it did. Do you remember that website you found the info on, Sudha?

Sobha Shyam said...

very interesting dish, glad to know that it has medicinal values too...Thanx a lot for linking it to my event :) Hope to see more entries from u :)

Join me for the Just "4" Fun event :)

lavina agarwal said...

looks yummy..first time here..wud love to follow u!

cheers
lavina
http://lav-art-craft-food.blogspot.com.au/

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!