About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Apple Custard Tart - for the sweet tartness in my life!

A couple of weeks back, a blogger friend of mine had a post on a very interesting - and amusing - topic. The post was on how people belonging to the blogging genre perceive the reactions from people around them about their blogging. I was so amused by that post that I thought I should be writing about my experiences too. So while I jot that down, you can have a look at Amy's lovely post here.
 When I started blogging, around 2 years ago, it was a matter of deep curiosity for the Husband. I have a habit of typing very fast and as the speed goes up, so does the tapping sound on my keypad, till it becomes almost cacophonous. So the first thing that drew him over to my blog was, what do I write about and where and why am I so serious when I do it? Then came the photos. From then till now, the Husband almost faints with hunger every time I prepare a dish and promise him a bite only after I've taken a couple of photos!That however doesn't happen for dishes that I don't take photos of and don't publish on my blog! His repartee, when posed with this question was, I take photos of food which I know has turned out good and leave out the not-so-good ones. So he has very correct reasons to vie for the ones I photograph and leave out the rest. What do you retort to someone who knows you so well, after all?
 So now after 2 years, anything and everything that I cook is for the blog and not for him. Some nights, when I'm up too long working on a post, I will hear mild jeers floating from the other side of the bed. And when I wake up groggy the next morning, he never fails to present me with that serves-you-right-for staying-up-late-for-the-blog smirk!I smile to myself when I think that my blog has almost become the 'other man' in my life and the Husband almost goes green over that! All in a good way, of course!
 But even after everything else, I will of course mention that without the Husband, my posts would be incomplete because he is after all the guinea pig for all my creations!He will fumble and grumble, but will gorge on what I make. And this symbiosis will continue, and the happy blogger and her sweet guinea pig will keep on cooking happily ever after!Which is why, I baked a lovely Apple Custard Tart for the Husband, and the blog, last week.This was my very first attempt at making a Tart and I was quite apprehensive. I wanted it to be light and hence cut out on the cream cheese filling, opting instead for a light Custard. And believe me, it really did turn out good.So here goes the recipe for my Apple Custard Tart for today's post -  keep blogging and have fun!

Linking this to 'Full Plate Thursday' at Miz Helen's wonderful blog and 'ABC series: Desserts' at Ramya's place. Check out her ongoing event and join up!
 Also sending this to 'Valentine Day Special ' at Anzz Cafe...
 and 'Valentine's Day Event' being hosted by Teena Mary at her wonderful place!
Sending this to 'Midweek Fiesta # 14' at my dear friend Amy's place!Do check out her lovely blog!

Apple Custard Tart
You will need:
For the pastry:
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Castor Sugar - 1 cup
Cold butter - 1 stick
Cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon

For the Custard:
Whole milk - 2 cups
2 large eggs
Sweetened Condensed milk - 1/2 a cup
Vanilla extract - 2 teaspoons
Castor Sugar - 5 tablespoons
Coffee Creamer/Milk powder - 4 teaspoons

Apples - 1 or 2, depending on the size. I used 1 big Gala Apple.You may use any variety, preferably a sweet one.
Soft brown Muscavado sugar - For sprinkling on top
Cinnamon - 1/2 a teaspoon

How I made it:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Usually you will need a Springform pan for making a tart, but if you don't have one, don't fret. You can make a tart using the usual baking tin by lining it with a parchment paper or aluminum foil that will hang over the edges of the tin, so that you can use them as handles to draw out the baked tart from the tin.

2. For the pastry or crust, take the sugar. flour and cold butter together and mash softly between your fingertips. Everything will get combined together and turn into a wet sand kind of consistency. Sprinkle the cinnamon lightly for a subtle flavoring. Press the pastry dough with your hands on the base of the baking tin and level the top with the back of a spoon or ladle, leaving space foe the Custard filling to go in. Prick the base randomly with a fork and bake for 10-15 mins in the oven till it browns lightly.

2. While the crust is baking, you can start preparing the Custard. In a large bowl, take the milk and add the condensed milk and 5 tablespoons of sugar to the milk. Put on the flame and while stirring constantly, boil the milk till it is reduced to almost half of the original volume. Keep on adding the creamer or milk powder, one teaspoon at a time, to help the milk thicken while it boils.When the milk becomes half the volume, put off heat and allow it to cool down slightly.

4. In another bowl, crack the eggs and beat lightly with a whisk or beater. Now add 203 tablespoons of the milk mixture to the eggs and beat them up quickly so that the heat doesn't cook up the eggs. Now, pour all of the milk mixture into the eggs and mix together very nicely with a spatula. Add the vanilla extract and give it another good mix.Your Custard filling is ready.

5. Once the crust is done, take out of the oven and allow to cool down. When completely cooled, pour in the
Custard filling onto the baked crust and allow it to settle down. The tart will now need to be baked for 40-50 minutes, till the Custard is set.But midway, the tart needs to be topped with the apples and the rest of the baking will be done after that.So bake the tart for 20 mins at first go.

6. For the apple topping, cut the apple into thin slices. In a bowl, take the apple slices, Muscavado sugar and cinnamon together and mix everything together with your hands. The apple slices should get well-coated in the sugar and cinnamon.

7. After 20 mins, check to see if the Custard has set slightly. It will have set in the middle, good enough to hold the apple slices, but will be slightly jiggly on the sides.Arrange the apple slices on top of the Custard base, making a nice flowery design.Sprinkle a little brown sugar on top for that golden look.
 8. Bake the tart for another 20-30 minutes till the sides are amber and bubbly and the Custard is set good enough to slightly sink in the apples. Cool the tart on a wire rack and then leave in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to set nicely.Enjoy the crumbly crust laden with almost cream-like Custard and let the tartness of the baked apples lift up your senses!

26 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Tina said...

Yes, my hubby is one that is ?? when it comes to blogging. I always get to hear about how he would do it if he was blogging. Also, he does like to comment "what is the big deal anyway".
He may act irritated but he does tell his other friends look what my wife does and shows them my blog!
Anyhow I have been eyeing some apple recipes thinking I want something with apple chunks! then here I see this lovely tart-you must have read my mind. This looks delicious. This post was a good read with a great recipe-well done my friend!!

Torviewtoronto said...

custard looks wonderful
Suda hope you can join the tea time snack event

Amina Khaleel said...

wonderful recipe... apple tart looks so good... and very well explained.... thank you so much for sharing...

Lizzy said...

Oh, how I love apple desserts...and yours looks amazing! I think the husbands of us bloggers would love to get together and chat (complain?) about how they have to wait and wait for their dinner or dessert while we take our photos. But I know they appreciate the yummy food in the long run :) Great post!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Sudha, your apple tart look delicious and tempting. Beautiful click too.

P/S I'd updated my new year recipes, check it out.
have a nice day.

Ramya said...

lovely and yummy tart. thanks for linking with my eventi just read Amys post...i guess all bloggers can relate to these experiences..

Elpiniki said...

Amazing tart! Looks very deliicous!
Great presentation!

Kalyani's Platter said...

looks yummy and tempting ....

Aarthi said...

Yummy Dish...I am gonna make it soon..Bookmarked it..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

faseela said...

Wonderful Apple Custard Tart....I have not yet tried tart....bookmarking it right away........superbly done..

Many things came into my mind when i read your post....if I start writing here...may not stop...
Eventhough they tell anything regarding blogging...they too enjoy it and ofcourse they r proud of us but dont accept it infront of us.

maha said...

apple tart looks so tasty...delicious and tempting. Beautiful clicks too.

Rathai said...

Sudha, I can't believe that is your first tart. It looks immaculate and delicious!

Beth said...

What a beautiful tart! I think our husbands are really lucky with all the food blogging we do!

Anh said...

Such a lovely tart! And your story about blogging experience is amusing :>

Anzz said...

What can I say dear.. you just stole my heart with that.!!

My event- Valentines Day Special

Anu said...

Sudha looks so delicious.

Anu said...

Sudha looks so delicious.

Anu said...

Looks so delicious

Hema said...

First time here dear, Wit,wok and wisdom, that's a nice name for the blog, it speaks for itself, the tart looks delectable, one happy follower here, do drop by my space too..

Soni said...

I agree with you on that, since I'm experiencing similar smirks too from my better-half ;).Love your humor Sudha and this Dessert!Looks very appetizing!

Peggy said...

It's amazing the journey we go through to become the bloggers that we are today! Loved this post and this tart looks amazing =)

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

as im reading through your post i kept thinking 'same here!' such an interesting read, & even i get the 'why-are-you-sacrificing-sleep-for-blogging' look from my husband all the time! haha, guess theyl never understand how blogging can take over our lives eh? but i gotta appreciate his patience when lunch is delayed coz of my incessant photo-taking! :D apple tart looks lovely... you have arranged them so prettily

Miz Helen said...

Hi Sudha,
This is a wonderful Apple Custard Tart, it looks so creamy and delicious. A lovely presentation! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Lizzy said...

Oh, how marvelous!!! I love apple desserts and yours is both beautiful and delicious :)

www.you-made-that.com said...

Oh this is such a pretty tart, and I bet delicious as well. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment.

Amy said...

Such a sweet post!!!I couldnt stop laughing & this post made me refresh again with memories....similar experience in different faces to most of us!! :)
And apple tart looks so delicious!!Thanks for sharing...And thanks for sharing a link to my post too...

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!