About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Some musings,Beet fried rice - and an award!

I have started blogging for quite some time now and feel so much a part of this blogging world. A day doesn't go by,when I do not steal a peek into my blog.The loveliest and most exciting part is, of course, checking out the comments!All the kind words,all the chitchat that people care to share - all the little nibbles that I get to see from the lives people around me are living,make me feel so alive!
I have spent days fiddling with my blog and have slept at ungentlemanly hours just to perfect a blog post picture - not because there is some crazy rat race that I aspire to join.Simply because, it is so much a part of me!And not to mention the lovely awards,like the beautiful 'Cheery on Top' award and the 'Triple Cute Awards' that my dear friend Ambreen from 'Simply Sweet 'N Savory' cared to pass on to me - thanks so much Ambreen!Meant a lot to me!
Still there are times,when things about the blogging world hurts me. I hate unscrupulousness in any form and when I see people stooping low enough to copy someone's blog post or blog idea and claiming it to be one's own,I'm painfully put off. There have been friends who have been so hurt by such incidents that they have stayed off their blogs for months together.There are bloggers who will resort to being copycats simply because they have run out of ideas.No harm in taking inspiration from someone,but if that is the case, it should and it must be accompanied with the proper credits.Pity those souls who have to ravage such a fertile forum of creativity to please their own sweet whims and buy a tainted name for themselves!
And then,there are the silent readers.Who will read and browse and forage but will not say a 'Hi'.Yes,I admit that even saying a simple 'Hi' adds a count to the number of comments - if that is what you think from a blogger's perspective.But then,why not? Just imagine a situation where you are visiting someone's place for the first time and after devouring a lot of sumptuous savories,you suddenly bolt out of the door without even saying a word to the host!Does that figure in your dictionary of etiquettes - I guess not!Then why not care to leave a line - a few words for all the effort put in or even an honest opinion!Personally for me,the best part is reading what everyone has left for me to read and savor and believe me,the connection that you make over time remains indelible.I am fortunate enough to have lovely friends who always make it a point to leave a caring line and that makes a world of difference to me!For all the lurkers out there,do give it a try if not yet done!
You must be wondering what drew me to this tirade.Well,nothing that I have faced till now but something very demeaning that has happened to a friend. And that really made me feel very low.Anyway, I hope I have not managed to put you off even before I put forth my recipe for this post.It is an extremely healthy full meal dish - Beet Fried rice.It is nutritious,it is tasty and it is very easy to prepare.So here goes my recipe for Beet fried rice - enjoy and stay well everyone!


Sending this to Amy's lovely weekly event 'Midweek Fiesta # 7' and 'Full Plate Thursday' at Miz Helen's place!!

Also sending this to the exciting event 'New U' at Vardhini's place! 
Beet Fried rice
You will need:
Boiled rice - 1 and 1/2 cups (Cold leftover rice from last night would be perfect but fresh boiled rice would also work)
Onions - Finely slivered
Garlic cloves - 2 to 3,finely chopped
Ginger - Finely chopped
Green peppers - Finely julienned
Bell peppers (Red/Yellow/Orange_ - Finely julienned
Sweet corns - 2/3rd of a cup
Green peas - 1/4th of a cup
Beet - Finely julienned
Beet stems and leaves - Finely chopped
Butter - 1 tablespoon
Salt
Black pepper
Sugar
1 egg
Canola/vegetable oil for cooking - 2 tablespoons

How I made it:
1. For this dish,the rice needs to be very flaky and should not stick to each other.If the rice is fresh, lay out the rice on a flat dish to drain off all the water and use when dry.

2. In a wok, heat the oil and when hot, add the julienned beet. Shallow fry till the beet becomes soft and then drain the fried beet on a kitchen towel.

3. Next in the oil, add the butter and then start adding the veggies one by one. Start with chopped garlic,ginger and onions.Saute slightly and then add the green peppers and the bell peppers. After a quick fry, add the sweet corn and green peas and stir-fry everything together.

4. When the onions are nicely done, add the fried beet and finely chopped beet stems and leaves and mix everything together. Next add in the rice. The color of the rice will turn to a purplish hue from the color of the beet. Add half a teaspoon of sugar and season with salt and black pepper.

5. In a separate bowl, break and egg and season with salt and pepper. In a separate pan, heat some oil and scramble the egg, breaking into smaller pieces.
6. Now take the fried rice off the flame and strew the scrambled egg on top. Have it smoking hot and it is a wholesome meal in itself. For the vegan version, you can do away with adding the scrambled egg and can add mushrooms instead. For more non-veg additions, shredded chicken or shredded cold turkey would be lip-smacking options.Try and see for yourselves!

24 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Balvinder ( Neetu) said...

I agree with your all you have said about blogging. I am almost 5 months young in blog world and feels the same. I am your true follower who is not a silent reader and write what I feel. Do you agree?

Balvinder ( Neetu) said...

I just carried away by what you said. Forgot to say that beets are always a good addition to include in your diet. The fried rice looks lovely.

Sudha said...

Ohh yes,dear Neetu!This is not at all for you or for any of my regular friends or friends on GFC.I not only appreciate your coming to my blog and leaving me your honest opinion,but it is friends like you who inspire me to go on.Unfortunately,there are lurkers who time and again figure on my Feedjit list but never care to introduce themselves.Anyway,thanks for your kind words and glad that you stopped by:)

Tina said...

First time here..Beet fried rice looks delicious and colourful..Following uuuuuu.

faseela said...

wow so colorful n tempting fried rice dear........ofcourse healthy too

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

Rice looks delicious and congrats on your award.

Torviewtoronto said...

flavourful rice
congrats on the award

Sudha said...

Hello Tina,
Welcome to my place and hope you liked it here - following you too:)

Hi Faseela,
Glad that you liked this dish!Your Custard cashew balls are absolutely awesome - left me drooling:)

Thanks a bunch,Priya!Glad to see you after quite some time - hope things have been good at your end:)

Hello Akheela,
Thanks so much and so happy that you came over:)

Only Fish Recipes said...

first time in your space...this beet fried rice looks awesome dear...n congrats on your award !glad to follow ur space...do visit mine whenever u hav time :-)

Sudha said...

Thanks so much for coming,Sonali!Nice knowing you and following your lovely space:)

Claudia said...

The photos are just gorgeous - am so wowed. Your beet fried rice looks scrumptious. Congrats on the award - it's very sweet.

As for blogging - it's very public - don't let the others bring you down. The overwhelming majority of bloggers are extremely supportive. And if someone declines to leave a comment - oh well - maybe they don't have an account, maybe they're shy, maybe they're rushed - just be happy they came!

Amalia said...

This looks so delicious, I love beets! The color is really what catches my eyes :) And I agree with you about the blogging world. It can be a pain in the neck, people copy, steal and who knows what else. But the good part is it's an amazing way to express yourself. The community of bloggers, for the most part, is super supportive and inspirational. I'm glad you wrote about this, it's about time someone did :)

Bizzy B. Bakes said...

This is the best looking fried rice, I have come across.

Tina said...

Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog, I am now following you as well.
I really love how you incorporated beets into this dish. There is just not enough recipes out there that use that ingredient. The dish looks so inviting and delicious.
Congrats on the award! Blogging does have its good and bad. I am appreciative to the lurkers as well as commentors, that means that you have got the attention of your friends as well as strangers! However, when I read that one of my friends is being harassed it does tick me off-even worse if it is somebody that is real young, like still in high school!
Anyhow, have a great day!

Patsy said...

Sudha, this rice sounds delicious, and is very pretty as well! Congratulations on your award! I agree with people making comments...sharing your recipes, and making new friends is the fun part of a blog! It is always nice to have someone tell you if they tried the recipe, or liked the dish.

Ambreen said...

That's a lovely combination, looks fabulous!

Sudha said...

Hello Claudia,
Thanks so much for coming and leaving me your thoughts - I do agree with you about why people could leave without a word.Maybe its just that I expect too much-but that's because I really put a lot of my heart into this blog:)Anyway,I'm really happy to have a lovely circle of friends and appreciate them with all my heart.So glad to have you here and do keep coming back!

Dear Amalia,
Thanks so much for coming and I couldn't agree with you more on the fact that it is the lovely friends that I have who inspire and encourage me to carry on.Its like another family out there:)

Hi BBB,
Thanks a bunch for your kind words and so glad that you stopped by:)

Hello dear Tina,
Thanks so much for following me - I really appreciate it!Beet is a very healthy and nutritious veggie which we often tend to overlook just because not too many recipes are around.I am actually researching more on this and wish to come up with more recipes using beet and share them with all on my blog.
Thanks for sharing your views and I too feel very bad if anyone I know gets hurt thus-its just not fair!

Dear Patsy,
So glad to have you here-my blog has lead me to meet many lovely friends and I consider myself extremely fortunate to have them as my friends:)

Thanks a bunch,dear Ambreen-so glad you dropped by!

Julie at Burnt Carrots said...

Great post! I'm newer to the blogging world and haven't come across anything too bad (and hope I never do). I hope everything with your friend works out okay. On a positive note, I love beets and never thought of making them into something like this dish! It looks just wonderful and I'll def be trying it!

Blackswan said...

Hi Sudha, my 1st time stopping by :) I came over from Food Corner's Midweek Fiesta Event. I've submitted my Funky Chilled Century Egg Tofu & now going blog-hopping. Lol!

I like beef & this fried rice is so colourful! Well, I look fwd to sharing, not just on food! Follow each other?

Dropping by from Shirley's Luxury Haven

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

very innovative..never seen or tasted a pink fried rice..looks so appealing and beautiful :)

Sudha said...

Hello Julie,
Thanks so much for coming and sharing your thoughts with me!I just hope you never have to face anything unpleasant.Really glad that you liked my recipe this much-so happy to have you dear:)

Hi Shirley,
Thanks so much for coming!I liked your tofu dish very much and will definitely give it a try sometime-following you already:)

Hello Deeps,
So nice meeting you!Thanks so much for coming over and leaving me a sweet comment.Will visit your blog soon to find out more about recipes on your blog!Do come back again:)

Miz Helen said...

I just love Fried Rice and your Beef Fried Rice looks awesome! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Amy said...

Fried rice looks tasty,adding beet to fried rice is a new idea for me.want to give it a try...
The content in your article is right,recently I faced a problem of copy pasting my recipes & photos as it is in another blog & it was a very painful experience.But on the other way,fellow bloggers helped me by sharing advice/experience...
Thanks for sharing this post with my event & hope to see you on next week too....

Vardhini said...

Rice with beets sounds interesting, colorful and healthy too. Thx for linking to the event.

Vardhini
Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!