About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Simple Fruit and Nuts cake

Christmas season is here and all around me,blogs are abound with sumptuous cake recipes.How I wish I could bake each and every one of them in my own kitchen.I just cannot decide which one to bake cause each and every one of them is sinfully delectable!To add to that,my Maa has carefully foraged a couple of very appealing and delicious cake recipes and sent them across- she just knows too perfectly about my crazy obsession with cakes - eating them,that is:) I just want to do something specially for the Christmas season - something that will spread out a Christmassy warmth all through my house! 
So while I still decide which one to zero in on, I will share my recipe for a very simple fruit and nuts cake that I had baked a couple of weeks back.My friends might already have had a glimpse of it here,when I had sent a B&W version of it to Susan's Black&White Wednesday event. So here go the details of all I had put in it. Wish everyone a very happy time and enjoy to your heart's fill!


Sending this to Amy's lovely weekly event 'Midweek Fiesta # 7' and 'Full Plate Thursday' at Miz Helen's place!


Simple Fruit and Nuts cake
You will need:
All Purpose flour - 1 and 1/2 cups
Almond powder - 1/2 a cup (You can grind whole almonds in the blender for this)
Soft dark brown sugar - 1 and 1/4th cup
Butter (softened/at room temperature) - 1 cup
Dry fruits - 1 cup
Apple cider/Apple juice - 3/4th cup
Glazed mixed peel - 1/2 a cup
Rind of an orange, finely chopped
Rind of a lemon, finely chopped
2 large eggs
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
Baking soda - 3/4th of a teaspoon
Whole cashews(For garnish)


How I made it:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and butter a baking tin. Place a parchment paper along the sides of the baking tin in such a way that the parchment paper sticks up to almost the same height above the rim of the baking tin as under.This will prevent the top of the cake from being burnt while baking.
2. Soak the dry fruits in the apple cider/apple juice for 1 hour before starting to bake the cake.Take the pre-soaked dry fruits is a bowl and add the glazed mixed peel and the finely chopped rinds of an orange and a lemon and mix everything together.


3. In a separate bowl, sift the flour,almond powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder together and keep aside.


4. In a large bowl, take the softened butter and soft light brown sugar  and cream together with an electric beater. Add the eggs one by one and beat very well after adding each egg. Once creamy, add the dry fruits and mixed peel mixture and mix everything well with a spatula.


5. Next, add small batches of the flour mixture to the batter and keep on folding in with the spatula till all of the flour mixture is incorporated into the cake batter.


6. Garnish the top of the cake with the whole cashew nuts or any other adornment of your choice.Avoid putting any dry fruits having water inside like cherries,berries etc on top as they can get scalded and burnt while baking.It is a better option to put nuts of your choice instead.
7. Bake the cake for about 45-50 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. The top of the cake will be rich and dark in color due to the brown sugar and the cake will be rather heavy and will not rise too much due to the presence of the dry fruits inside.


Please note - This cake will need a standing time of 10 mins inside the oven,once it is baked.Please do not take out the cake immediately otherwise the middle of the cake will slump down,as had happened in my case.This happens due to the difference in temperatures inside and outside the oven.


Enjoy a slice with your morning tea and savor the joy of winter!

13 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Amina said...

wow... your cake looks really fabulous... never tried it this way with fruits and nuts... will surely give this a try..

Amalia said...

I've been meaning to make a fruit and nut cake, but I agree, there are just so many delicious recipes out there I don't have enough time to make all of them! This is definitely inspiring me to make one now, it looks fabulous :)

Ambreen said...

Your cake looks wonderful. Can I have a slice, please :)

faseela said...

Wonderfully prepared cake......awesome dear

Sudha said...

Sure,dear Amina - do give it a try and I think you are going to love it:)So glad that you stopped by!

Dear Amalia,
Just my thoughts!You make fabulous cakes too and are one of my revered inspirations:)So its actually an honor that you stopped to compliment mine - I am so glad!!!

Hello Ambreen,
You needn't ask dear,it is all yours:)So glad to have you here!

Thanks a bunch,Faseela! Glad that you liked mine and I still can't forget your Custard cashew balls dish - that recipe is really a keeper:)

SweetKaramKapi said...

nice cake..should try once...

Do Check out my events @

Love Lock Series

CC - Flavors of Tamilnadu

HCC - Movie time snack

Katherine Martinelli said...

This looks just perfect for the holiday season! I know, there are so many great cakes out there. I have to add yours to the growing list to make :-)

kitty said...

Oh yum, Sudha! You're so right, this would be good with a cup of tea!!

Mama's World said...

Luv your blog sudha!! thanks for stopping by my blog!!
http://gharkhana.blogspot.com/

Sudha said...

Hi Vidhya,
thanks so much for coming and glad that you liked my cake recipe:)Do keep on coming back!

Hello Katherine,
That was such a compliment - thanks for your kind words,dear and glad to have you here:)

Hello Kitty,
So lovely that you stopped by - and thanks a bunch for your sweet words:)

Amy said...

Looks so delicious & perfect for this festive season...
Thanks a lot for linking with Midweek Fiesta.Hope to see you on next week too….
Food of the Month-Contest
Midweek Fiesta @every Wednesday
Decorating Challenge-Buttercream Icing

Sudha said...

Sure Amy,I will definitely be there:)Thanks so much for dropping in!

Miz Helen said...

This is a beautiful cake that we would really enjoy, I look forward to making it. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!