About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cauliflower stir fry - a wintry delight!

Sometimes what is needed is food that is very quick,tasty and filling.
In this last but one week of the year,running down to Christmas,people are really having a tough time at work - collating everything together to ensure that nothing goes amiss before the vacation starts!Coupled with that are the last-minute preparation for Christmas - the shopping,the packing,the goodies,the baking - phew!Seems like the whole world is on roller skates!

Thinking on these lines and watching the busy world pass by,I thought of posting a very easy yet utterly flexible dish today - Cauliflower stir fry.When I was growing up in a small town in India, this particular stir fry dish would often be on the menu at my home in winter.Unlike now - when you can see cauliflower all through the year in air-conditioned supermarkets - cauliflower was a veggie that would be available in the markets only during the winter months.Fresh,green and crunchy.It was like waiting for the winter months to come, just to relish Maa's chosen cauliflower recipes! The temperature would often plummet towards the end of December and Maa would switch to making 'Roti' (a type of Indian flatbread made of wheat or flour) as a staple for dinner instead of the usual white rice.The advantage of having flatbread was that it could be matched up with a wide range of curries, both veg and non-veg and the fluffed up hot 'Rotis' provided a lovely comforting warmth to the dinner table.Curry or no curry,I preferred to have a stir-fried green veggie,be it cauliflower or eggplant or green beans with my flatbread. 
 Years later,I have still hung on to that old obsession of mine with having stir-fried veggies in winter. Since all it takes is chopping up the veggies and frying them,I find it easy,reliable and nutritious too!Better still if you have a pack of frozen veggies languishing in your freezer - you can do away with the chopping part and all you need is to fry.Since I have never been as industrious as my Maa - on days when I do not like to make the 'Roti', I simply toast a slice of bread lightly,slather it with butter and strewing on the stir-fried cauliflower on top,gorge it down as a sandwich.Believe me,nothing could taste better than this!
 So while you are busy and thinking of what to cook and eat right now,bring out that cauliflower from your freezer and cook this up!I'm sure you'll enjoy that fast tuck-in and have a very exciting countdown to the Holidays!

Sending this to  Amy's place for 'Midweek Fiesta # 8' and 'Full Plate Thursday'!
Also linking this to 'Healing foods - Cauliflower' event at Vardhini's wonderful place!
Cauliflower stir fry
You will need:
Cauliflower - Cut into florets leaving a good part of the stalk on.This prevents the florets from disintegrating while frying.
Potatoes - Roughly same in amount as the cauliflower florets.Peeled and cut into roundlets first. Roundlets then cut longitudinally into long thin strips
Fresh green peas
Green chilies - 2,split
Nigella seeds - 1/4th of a teaspoon 
A pinch of salt
A pinch of turmeric powder
A pinch of Red chili powder(for garnish) - optional
Mustard/canola oil,for frying - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons

How I made it:
1. Take a skillet and heat up the oil. When the oil starts getting hot, add the Nigella seeds and the split green chilies.

2.When the chilies start to splutter, add in the cauliflower florets first and stir with quick strokes to fry.Since potatoes cook faster than cauliflower,the potatoes will go in later.

3.When the cauliflower starts to cook, add in the potato strips and stit fry everything together with short,quick strokes.Cover for 1-2 mins intermittently and check back to see if the veggies are cooked through.

4. Add in the fresh green peas and sprinkle a pinch of salt and a pinch pf turmeric powder.Mix everything together and fry for a couple of more minutes.
5. When the cauliflower florets are fried and the potatoes are cooked through,put off the flame.Sprinkle a dash of Red chili powder on top for garnish and serve hot with any type of bread.Enjoy!

18 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Amina Khaleel said...

wow.. such a simple and flavourful recipe... perfect with any meal... delicious..

faseela said...

super tempting stir fry...............

Lizzy said...

Mmmmmm....I love the idea of combining cauliflower and potatoes! And the pop of color from the peas is lovely!

Ambreen said...

What a delicious stir-fry, nice combination! Looks yummy!

Blackswan said...

Hey Sudha, such a healthy & lovely recipe! U're making me drool just by looking at the pix. Hahaha!
Shirley's Luxury Haven

Indulge said...

Cauliflower never looked so inviting. thanks for the kind words on my space. Happy to follow you back.
Love Ash.

April's Homemaking said...

Sudha~ Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Your Cauliflower stir fry sounds delicious, I love cauliflower, sounds like a wonderful savory dish!!

Rathai said...

This recipe is a feast to my eyes. I love cauliflowers and potato stir-fries but have never combined these two delicious vegetables. Will certainly try this next time I buy cauliflowers.

kitty said...

I love cauliflower, Sudha, and this looks especially tasty!! The Fusilli dish looks great, too.

Patsy said...

I don't know why, but I rarely cook cauliflower. This sounds yummy, so I am going to give it a try! Enjoy the holiday season, Sudha!

Sudha said...

Dear Amina,
Thanks so much for coming and happy to know that you liked this dish so much:)

Hi Faseela,
Thanks a ton,dear:)

Hello Lizzy,
So glad to have you here!This dish is indeed very tasty and nutritious and the color adds an extra oomph to it:)Hope you will give this a try sometime!

Dear Ambreen,
Thanks so much and really glad to know that you liked my simple dish:)

Hello Shirley,
Thanks so much for your kind words and really glad that you liked this dish so much:)

Hi Ash,
Welcome to my blog and thanks so much for following me back:)Glad that you liked the dish and do keep on coming back!

Hello April,
Thanks so much for coming and welcome to my blog!This is indeed a very savory dish and I hope you will give this a try sometime - do let me know how it turned out:)

Dear Rathai,
The color of this dish unfailingly whets up my appetite whenever I cook it - the lovely color is not only good to look at but I feel it accentuates the simple deliciousness of this dish too!Thanks a bunch for coming - see you soon:)

Dear Kitty,
Thanks so much and glad to know that you liked both my recipes:)This dish is a favorite of mine and so I had to post it - do give it a try sometime!

Hello Patsy,
Sure do!And I can tell you you'll not be disappointed - the taste and colorfulness of this dish will woo you over:)Thanks so much for coming and for your kind words dear.

Hey there stranger! said...

MMM, I love cauliflower! And all the other ingredients sound so good, the potatoes, peas, chilies, delicious! Great recipe :) Happy Holidays!

Amy said...

Cauliflower is one of my favourites...This looks so delicious...
Thanks a lot for linking with Midweek Fiesta Hope to see you on next week too….

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com said...

Cauliflower may be Adam's favorite vegetable and we are always looking for new ways to serve it up. This looks delicious and perfect for a chilly winter day. Love that it's so substantial and we can serve it as a main meal.

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

looks so pretty, and such a simple yet heart warming dish :) perfect with chapati for those cold winter nights

Sudha said...

Hello Amalia,
Thanks so much for dropping in!It sure is a very enterprising dish with all those veggies thrown in and I bet you'll love the taste:)

Dear Amy,
Joining your event is my pleasure!Will be there again:)

Hi Cheryl,
Ohh sure,it will be lovely as the main meal!You'll love the flavor and crunch of the fresh veggies - hope it delights you too just as it does me:)Thanks so much for coming!

Hi Deeps,
Right you are!My favorite accompaniment with chapatis on winter nights - so glad to have you here dear:)

Miz Helen said...

Good Morning Sudha,
Just yesterday I bought a lovely cauliflower at the Farmers Market and now I know what I am doing with it. Yum, I can't wait to try this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year and Abundant Blessings in 2012!
Miz Helen

Vardhini said...

Inviting and tempting curry perfectly made. Thx for linking to the event.

Vardhini
Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!