About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tilapia in sauce

It has always been a habit to catch with the day's news - even if it be at the fag end of the day!Reading the newspaper has always been sort of a relaxant for me - ever since I was old enough to properly read on my own.I guess its a habit that my Maa coaxed me to imbibe. When I was a kid, my Maa would thrust the newspaper in my lap whenever I would start to get cranky. I would start off by using my Dad's ball pen to scribble and scratch and when that would yield no audience, I would climb right on top of the newspaper and try to exercise my nascent knowledge of the English alphabets, punctuated by mindless sounds and occasional guffaws!And that I guess,was the beginning of my loyal relationship with the newspaper that stuck on!
Times have changed and now I check out the news on my laptop. But I feel saddened to see how much the print media has changed over the years. They say its a global revolution of the media industry - I say its the end of simplicity and credibility. Because all that the print media now does is rent out space for advertisements (apparently that is where the moolah comes in from!), fuel inane rumors about celebrities and fan them with all their might to help revv up sales and even create sensational news - the credibility part being unabashedly thrown off to the winds!I would love to filter out the actual,useful news that comes my way but unfortunately that is so insignificant a number that it beggars a mention!Do you feel the same about today's print media? Do let me know your thoughts!
Leaving all the rant behind, I move on to my recipe for today's post. It is a very simple yet very tasty Tilapia fish preparation that has a perky sauce to go with it. I love eating fish and people back home know just how great a fish-lover I am. And luckily enough, so is the Husband! Mostly,I tend to cook fish the Indian, rather the Bengali way because that's what I like. Initially I would be skeptical about the spices - whether they would gel with the fish available here. But cooking over time, I realized that they jolly well do - specially the Tilapia! So here goes my recipe - hope you will enjoy it and have a great weekend ahead!


Linking this recipe up to the 'Hearth and Soul Blog Hop # 73' , 'Midweek Fiesta # 3' a lovely blog event at Amy's place and the 'Fish Blog Hop' at Katherine's place!!!


Tilapia in sauce
You will need:
Tilapia fillets - 3 cut into halves (I use the packaged Tilapia fillets from the 'Frozen' section of the store I usually shop from)
Indian Five spice - 1 teaspoon (Readily available in Asian/Indian stores - commonly known as 'Panch phoron')
Turmeric powder - 1 tablespoon
Cumin powder - 1 and half tablespoons
Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Red Chili powder - 1 teaspoon or as per taste
Green chillies - 4-5; Finely chop 2-3 and split the rest for garnishing the dish.
Salt, to taste
Mustard/Canola oil for cooking - 3 tablespoons


How I made it:
1. Defrost the Tilapia fillets and wash well. Rub each of the halves with some salt and some turmeric powder and keep aside for 5-10 mins.
2. Heat oil in a pan and when the oil is hot enough, carefully shallow fry the fish fillets. Fry the fillets on both sides till a light golden brown. When done, drain the fried fish pieces on a paper napkin and keep aside.
3. To prepare the sauce, add the teaspoon of Indian Five Spice to the same oil. When it starts to splutter, add in the chopped green chilies.
4. In a separate bowl, add all the powdered dry spices - the rest of the turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chili powder and mix together. Add a small cup of water to the spices and mix everything well. Next add all of it to the pan and give a good stir.
5. Add salt to the sauce as per taste and let it come to a boil. Add in the fried fish pieces to the sauce and allow everything to come together for another 2-3 mins.
6. Garnish with split green chilies and serve hot with white rice. Enjoy a healthy and nutritious meal and wallow in the joy of this comfort food!

6 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Penniless Parenting said...

This looks delicious! I want to try out Indian five spice powder- maybe once I do I'll try this out!
Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul blog hop!

Sudha said...

Do give it a try for sure,Penny - I bet you'll like the flavors!Thanks so much for dropping in:)

Amy said...

I was reading your blog posts from top to here....the way you write all recipe posts are interesting...Tilapiya looks yummy!!

Chef and Steward said...

Tilapia is a bland fish but so cost effective and available and a good source of protein. You have spiced it up so nicely that the finished dish bears no resemblance. Congrats!

Sudha said...

Thanks a bunch,Amy!Really glad that you liked it:)

Hello Anja - thanks so much for coming and so nice knowing you:)

Modern Farming said...

Very nice and informative blog posting. Among all the fish, tilapia fish is Awesome! Tilapia fish farming is very profitable and easy. I like tilapia fish dish very much for it's unique taste and nutritional value.

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!