About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Monday, October 24, 2011

Rich and rocking - Red Kidney beans curry

Red Kidney beans has been an all-time favorite.Ever since I was a kid, I never had any complaints about slopping up the soft,mushy,deep red colored sacks packed with tons of iron inside. It did help that I was anaemic for most part of my life and every visit to the Doc for routine health check-ups would guarantee bowls of Red Kidney beans curry at the table!
My Mom had a lovely recipe for the Red Kidney Beans curry which she mastered from our next door Punjabi neighbors. Punjab is a province in the north western part of my country India and the Punjabis are absolute magicians when it comes to cooking any kind of beans, be it Red Kidney beans or 'Rajma' as it is popularly known or Garbanzo beans.The lady of the house was a skilled cook who would regularly cook this amber-colored Red Kidney bean curry with a sinful crown of fragrant melting butter at the top, and the bowl would invariably be lined with  a rich red, shimmery oily border seeping out of the curry. I admit that calorie-wise it could be a dieter's last call, but no one in the world can be in two minds about the taste - the glorious curry would taste out-of-the-world!I have come across ready-to-cook Rajma Masala packets in grocery stores, but I seriously doubt if they can re-create the magic that the home cooked curry with the homemade spices did!
Anyway, Red Kidney beans is still and will be a favorite of mine,unless and until it is ever banished from my wishlist by any ugly intrusion of excessive uric acid or blah blah blah in the future!Till then, I will go on cooking as many variations possible, another of my favorites being Red Kidney beans cutlets - the recipe for that is right here.I have my own measurements for oil,spices and butter when I cook my curry,just to be on the healthier side.But I do believe that you can always trade a bit here and there for such a gorgeous dish as this!So happy cooking and happy feeding friends!


Linking up to 'Hearth and Soul blog hop # 71' ,'Tuesdays at the table', 'Food palette series finale - Rainbow colors' at Torview and 'Midweek Fiesta # 3' a lovely blog event at Amy's place!


Red Kidney beans curry
You will need:
Red Kidney beans or Rajma - 100 gms, soaked overnight till the beans absorb water and become bloated to double their original size
Red onions - 3 medium or 2 large
Garlic - 4-5 fat cloves
Ginger - About an inch and a half
Green chilies,diced
Green peppers,diced
Red Bell peppers,diced
Tomato - 2 medium, diced
Turmeric powder - 2 tablespoons
Cumin powder - 2 and 1/2 tablespoons
Coriander powder - 2 tablespoons
Garam masala powder - 1 tablespoon
Red chili powder - 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste


Butter - 3 tablespoons
Canola oil - 1 tablespoon


How I made it:
1. Wash the soaked and bloated beans well and boil in a large pot of water for about 30 mins,till soft and just on the brink of being mushy. You might want to boil with the lid on for quicker results or even use a pressure cooker (8-9 whistles) to make things work faster.


2. In a blender, blend to a thick puree the onions,garlic,ginger,green chilies, tomato and peppers. Chop into julienne a few pieces of garlic,that will be used to temper the cooking base.


3. In a wok, heat 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of Canola oil. When hot, add the julienned garlic cloves and allow it to turn a light brown. Take care not to burn the garlic.Add the Garam masala powder next and allow the masala to be blended well in the oil. This will bring out the flavor in the whole curry.


4. Next add in the pureed thick spice mixture and cook till it releases water and becomes even thicker. At this point, add in salt,turmeric,cumin, coriander and red chili powders and give a good stir. If the spice mixture tends to become too dry, add 2-3 tablespoons of water so that the spice mixture can be turned around and stirred easily.


5. When the spice mixture is cooked through, oil will gradually start to leave the edges. At this point, add in the cooked Red Kidney beans and mix everything well together so that the beans are coated evenly with the spices. Once done, add 2 small cups of water and bring to a boil.
6. When the beans are cooked and soft and the gravy has thickened quite a bit,take off the flame. Add a begerous blob of butter on top before serving and garnish with slivered red onions and green chilies.You may even add coriander or any other herb for decoration. Tastes best with Roti/Parantha or any type of Indian Flat bread or just plain white rice.Enjoy!

5 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Amalia said...

I love red kidney beans! Actually all beans in general :) But this looks really good and I love how you put curry in it, great recipe!

Sudha said...

Thanks for coming and writing in,Amalia!!Really glad that you like my recipe so much:)It is actually one my favorites too and I always look out for an opportunity to rustle this up.Great to have you here:)

Torviewtoronto said...

thank you for linking this delicious looking curry looks wonderful

Melynda said...

Another great curry dish, thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Sudha said...

Dear Akheela,
Thanks so much for coming!It was fun linking up to your event and will get back soon to check all the others:)

Hello Melynda,
Glad that you liked this dish of mine:)Would love to co-host one of your events - do let me know if I can go ahead!Thanks so much for coming!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!