About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Simple Pasta salad with garlic shavings and mushrooms

It was Christmas day and was snowing heavily outside. We were in New York, sitting snugly inside a coffee shop just around a  street corner. Cupping my hands around the hot coffee cup, I was trying hard to take my mind off the chill. We should have taken the train from Grand Central by now, but the sudden snowing had held us back. But then, it felt good to laze around on Christmas day with friends we were meeting up with after ages!


Between bites of butter cream frosted doughnuts, we caught up with what each of us had been doing in the years we had lost touch. Merry people walked by with a spring in their steps and mirthful chatter lit up the cafe.In between all of this, my eyes flitted over to a small girl sitting a couple of tables away with her Dad.She had been prancing around the place but as her eyes fell on us, she seemed to look a bit dazed. The little one kept on looking at us with big almond-shaped eyes and I felt like I sensed a flicker of amusement in those eyes.


The chatter at our table had almost reached a crescendo, now that everyone was pitching in excitedly.We were bantering in our own language and it felt so good to be able to do so in an alien land.Sounded so sweet to the ears!The little girl's Dad left the table to get their order and through the corner of my eyes, I spied her coming towards our table on nimble feet. I turned around now to look directly at her and she stopped in her tracks, letting out an angelic smile.I beckoned for her to come but she would not - seemed like she just loved being near us!
It was time for them to leave the cafe and Daddy called out to his little girl but the little one would not budge.He tried coaxing her gently but when nothing worked, Daddy raised his voice a bit and out came a stern premonition 'Ki holo,esho!!' (What's the matter?Come along!) So that was it!That was what the little girl had sensed - language familiar to her ears!We were speaking the same language that probably people at her home also spoke and that was what was drawing her towards us.A warmth filled up my heart as I realized that language does bridge distances, does bring unfamiliar people closer, does make one realize that bonds do remain strong wherever you be, in whichever corner of the earth. And what more to feel happy about than to relish that this dainty little girl had made me feel it all!
I had been away from blogging for quite some time again and had been missing out on posting. But that did not stop me from checking out the lovely recipes being posted to the ongoing event at my place!Thanks to all who cared to join in and I'm eagerly waiting for more to come by!:) I had rustled up a Pasta salad a couple of days back which featured mushrooms and garlic shavings - two of my favorite ingredients to go with Pasta.For today's post I'll share this recipe with you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!Bon Appetit!


Sending this recipe to 'Full Plate Thursday' at Miz Helen's lovely place and to 'Presto Pasta Nights # 226' started by Ruth and hosted by Simona from 'Briciole' this week!Way to go ladies!


Pasta salad with garlic shavings and mushrooms

You will need:
Pasta - 250 gms (I used Penne pasta but any Pasta of your choice would be good enough)
Minced chicken - 100 gms
Onions - 1 big; finely julienned
Garlic - 5-6 fat cloves; very finely finely diced into thin slivers
Button mushrooms - 75 gms; finely diced
Green chilies - Finely chopped
Tomato - 2 medium-sized; diced into slivers
Dried oregano - 1 tablespoon
Black pepper - 1 tablespoon
Butter - About 50 gms
Cheese - About 100 gms; very finely grated
Tabaso sauce - As per taste
Salt to taste
Extra virgin Olive oil


How I made it:
1. In a deep-bottomed bowl, boil the Pasta till it is cooked. Drain the water and add a spoonful of butter to the boiled Pasta to keep it crunchy and smooth.


2. In a separate pan, add the remaining butter and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. When the butter is melted, add the garlic slivers, onions and chilies and give everything a good stir.Next add the mushrooms and keep on stirring till the mushrooms are well-fried.Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the tomatoes to this mixture and give another quick stir.
3. Now add in the minced chicken along with a pinch of salt and half of the black pepper. Mix everything well and cook till the chicken becomes a slight golden. Do not over-fry the chicken as that may make it hard and rubbery.The chicken should be cooked just good enough to seal the juices inside.


4. Now lower the flame and add the boiled Pasta to this minced chicken mixture and give a good mix so that every thing comes together.Next, spread out the grated cheese and allow it to melt over the heat so that the cheese starts dripping over every single piece of pasta.
5. Next add the dried Oregano and black pepper and mix it well with the Pasta salad. When everything is done, drizzle some Tabasco sauce for that delightful heat and spice to hit the taste buds!Enjoy your Pasta salad and revel in the joy of the senses!

8 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Marelie said...

Hi..I enjoyed your post and I look forward for more.Your post stirs a feeling of contentment and peace inside me.I remember the good old happy days of Christmas back home..

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Glad to know that you liked my post Marelie:)It was a moment of realisation for me as well and maybe that's the reason why I think I can understand your feelings.Thanks so much for coming by!

Cheers!

Simona said...

I enjoyed reading your post: very nice. And nice pasta salad: thank you for contributing it to Presto Pasta Nights!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Thanks for coming Simona and so glad that you liked my recipe - and post as well:)Lovely knowing you!

Cheers!

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

Absolutely love the simplicity and flavor in this dish :)

Ruth Daniels said...

Lovely story. It made me smile... as did the droolingly delicious pasta. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

I do hope to see you often at the roundups.

Miz Helen said...

I just love a simple pasta dish like this that packed with wonderful flavor. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
See you soon,
Miz Helen

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Thanks so much for coming, Priya and really glad that you liked my dish so much:)

Ohh wow Ruth!Its an honor to have you come over!Thanks so much and glad that you liked my recipe:)I'm hooked to PPN and try to pitch in whenever I can - so be sure to find me there!

Hello dear Miz Helen,
Glad that you liked my simple recipe and loved to see you here!Hope you had a lovely weekend as well - have a great week ahead:)

Cheers!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!