About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Around the corner - Chicken and Potato sandwich

A good number of years ago, I was whiling away my time surfing the Net one day, when suddenly I came across a beautiful piece of  poem that touched my heart. I read it for the first time and then for the second and when I was reading it for the third time, I could feel this lump in my throat.All I managed to do at that point of time was copy it and save it in one of the innumerable folders labelled 'Personal' on my computer(laptops were quite few and far between in those days!)

I had been carrying my folders with me as I shifted computers and inherited new ones and finally owned my very own laptop! And one such evening,when I was rummaging through my antique folders, I managed to chance upon those very lines, kept safe inside a neatly folded piece of paper.I found meaning in them then,and I found meaning in them still now.

For today's post, I would love to share those few lines with all of my friends -I never knew who wrote them,neither do I now.All I can ask you to do is read and feel the difference it makes!

"Around the corner I have a friend,in this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,and before I know it, a year is gone.

And I never see my old friends face,for life is a swift and terrible race.

He knows I like him just as well,as in the days when I rang his bell.
And he rang mine but we were younger then,

And now we are busy, tired men.
Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.


"Tomorrow" I say! "I will call on Jim, just to show that I'm thinking of him."

But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,and distance between us grows and grows.

Around the corner, yet miles away,"Here's a telegram sir," "Jim died today."
And that's what we get and deserve in the end.
Around the corner, a vanished friend."
Without further ado,I will move to my recipe for today. Its a very simple chicken and potato sandwich that my Ma used to pack in our boxes as kids.I still have that fondness for this sandwich and love having it as an evening snack.So here you go with my recipe and this is also the entry to my event 'Let's Break Bread Together' that I'm hosting at my place! This goes to 'Fresh Food Friday' at Roz's beautiful place!Also linking this up to 'Potato Blog Hop' the amazing blog hop at Katherine's place!Have a lovely weekend ahead!

Chicken and Potato sandwich

You will need:
Chicken(with the bones) - 150 gms
Slices of fresh Multigrain bread (Any bread is just fine.I used Multigrain bread to elevate the health factor)
Potato - 1 medium-sized;Peeled and boiled.
Red onion - 1;Finely slivered
Garlic - 3-4 cloves;Finely slivered
Fresh green chilies - Finely chopped
Cilantro - Finely chopped
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Freshly crushed Black pepper
Butter
Tomato Ketchup
Salt to taste
Canola or vegetable oil - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons

How I made it:
1. Toast the slices of Multigrain bread till well done and butter only the insides so that two buttered sides may be placed one upon the other, together facing each other.


2 Wash the chicken pieces well and boil with a pinch of salt for about 20 mins. Once done, the flesh will start leaving the bones and that will help shred the chicken better. 
3. In a pan, take the oil and allow it to heat up. Add the slivered garlic pieces, onions and green chilies and allow to fry a bit. 

4. Next add in the boiled potato into the pan, and start mashing it in the pan itself with the back of a spoon or spatula so that the potato breaks down unevenly.

5. Mix the potato well with the fried onions and next add in the shredded chicken pieces and mix  everything together.Next add the tumeric and cumin powder and salt as per taste. The mixture will now become an ochre mesh. Add the freshly crushed Black pepper and mix it well.Put off the flame.
6. Take a slice of bread with the buttered side facing you and spread out a spoonful of the chicken and potato mixture onto it. Garnish with some chopped Cilantro and drizzle with Tomato ketchup. Now place the other buttered slice on top.Do the same for the other slices as well.Serve it hot with a glass of steaming hot chocolate in the morning or have it with coffee in the evening and have a weekend to remember!

7 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Torviewtoronto said...

flavourful sandwiches looks delicious

notyet100 said...

Very nice poem,sandwich looks so good

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Glad that you like them Torview - thanks so much for stopping by!:)

Ya,the poem is really good and food for thought as well. Happy to know that you liked my sandwich recipe dear:)

Cheers!

Jaya said...

W3,
This looks good and yum..how are you doing? ..Hugs and smiles

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

I'm fine Jaya:)Hope you are doing good!I don't see much of you nowadays...khub byasto naki?Glad that you liked my recipe and thanks so much for stopping by!

Cheers!

Erin said...

What a great poem! The sandwich sounds good too!

Anonymous said...

Good poem and very good recipe of sandwiches just the way I was looking for thanku

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!