About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

'Rainy days and Mondays' – with Red Kidney Beans cutlets!

Isn't it queer that when you want something to happen very desperately, it seems a far-fetched and remote possibility? Strangely enough, when you leave all hopes and brace to get ready to look for other options, it falls onto your lap – almost unasked. Does it happen only with me or it happens with all of you? I would love to know!

Well, I have been away, fighting a lot of demons and could not at all manage time for a blog post. I have been feeling bad about that and have even attempted one in the dead of the night, after a hard day at work. But soon enough, I have listlessly fallen asleep waking up to the helpless honking of my laptop, which had in the meantime run out of battery power – I keep on forgetting about plugging in the power chord well before time always!

The idea of keeping up late into the night, specially on a wet, rainy night, has always been intriguing to me. With the monsoon having clambered on to the city, the rains are in full swing. As a kid, I remember the days when the first rains would stir up the earthy smell of parched mud. At the very sign of dark, water-filled clouds starting to huddle together, a cool breeze would take over which would eventually get wild enough to violently jostle the open doors and windows.Maa would rush off to shut the doors and taking her cue, I would make haste on my little feet and show my might in closing shut the window panes! Having done that, I would stealthily keep one of the panes slightly ajar to have a peek at the rain outside. And sure enough, the rain Gods would come down with all gusto! When it showered till late in the night, I would savor the sound of the rains splashing against the kerbs and the streets and feel bad for the homeless man trying hard to look for a dry corner. 
The rain-drenched crows would perch on the window-sill and in one show of harried disgust, shrug the water off their wings with a mighty shake. I would not know when I would doze off to the rhythmic beat of the crickets until early in the morning, when the pitter-patter of last night’s raindrops dancing on the sun-shade atop my bedroom window would wake me up.

As the years have passed by, rainy nights have brought back memories of my childhood days but not for a long time have I been to enjoy them with the same unadulterated and innocent fun  that I used to as a kid. Now it is more worrisome to be caught in a shower and be down with flu the next day and miss work! 
But even then, I do not let go of the slightest opportunity to flop down on the chair in my patio with a huge mug of steaming ginger-flavored tea and gaze listlessly at the curtain of rain enveloping the world around me. And something crunchy and savory to go with that! So how about getting to know about my red kidney bean cutlets that I managed to rustle up on one such mystical rain-sloppy evening, not many evenings ago! Believe it would spice up your rainy evening as well! So here you go with the recipe – and enjoy!


This is my entry to 'Let's do Brunch' at April's place 'The 21st Century Housewife's Kitchen©'. Amazing event, amazing lady and an amazing place!Come along if you wanna meet and know April!:)


Red Kidney Beans Cutlets

You will need:
Red Kidney Beans – 125 gms; soaked overnight
Onion – 1 small; finely diced
Ginger  - About 1 inch; finely diced
Garlic – 2-3 cloves; finely diced
Green chillies – 2-3; finely chopped
Cilantro – Finely chopped
Whole cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Caraway seeds (Ajwain) – ½ teaspoon
I slice of bread
Salt to taste

Canola/Vegetable oil for frying the cutlets

How I made it:

1. Soak the kidney beans in water overnight after which they will swell up. Pressure cook the kidney beans with 4 cups of water allowing 4-5 whistles till the kidney beans are soft.

2. Take a bowl of water and soak the bread slice in it for a minute. Take out the bread and press with the palm of your hands to get rid of the excess water. Now shred the wet bread slice with your hands and mix with the boiled kidney beans.
3. In a blender, add the kidney beans and bread slice mixture, the diced onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies and cilantro. Add in the whole cumin seeds and caraway seeds(ajwain) and sprinkle salt as per taste. Now blend the whole mixture together till it comes together. The kidney beans will soften and the wet bread will bind all of the mixture together. Do not add water as you need a coarse and lumpy consistency to form the cutlets.

4. Next take out the mixture from the blender onto a plate. Pat the palm of your hand with a little bit of oil and take a small portion of the mixture. Shape it like a cutlet either in an oblong shape or just a simple roundlet and even out both sides gently. Form cutlets out of the whole mixture and keep aside for 10 mins.
5. Now heat up oil enough to deep fry the cutlets in a deep-bottomed pan. When the oil is hot, dip in the cutlets one by one and deep fry till golden brown on both sides. Serve it with Tomato Ketchup or just like that with steaming hot coffee or tea. Enjoy with friends and family and stay well!:)

5 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

Absolutely loving the cutlet recipe. It is glad to have you back :)

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Thanks so much Priya!:) Really glad that you like my recipe!It is a great happiness and relief for me to be back as well...had been missing you all!

Swati Sapna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swati Sapna said...

hey! such a great recipe! am sure this can be modified to make cutlets with leftover rajma curry too :) loved trawling through your blog... looking forward to more exciting stuff!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello Swati Swapna,
Such a pleasure to meet you and thanks for stopping by my blog and following me!It will be a good idea to use leftover Rajma curry but I guess you'll need to alter the proportions of some of the ingredients. Maybe adding a bit more bread would also be a good idea!Let me know how this works!

Cheers!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!