About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Friday, May 27, 2011

Summery nostalgia and a light Minced chicken curry

I'm back to my blog after almost a month.Thanks to everyone who cared to drop me a line  after my last post.All has not been good,but some of it has been. And I guess everyone has to flow with the tide!So be it!


So summer is in full swing!As a kid, summer days would mean waiting eagerly for the summer vacations to be announced.With sweltering heat reigning supreme in my part of the world,summer mornings would be spent lazing on the couch and poring over novels for hours together. Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys would keep us intriguing company.With no boring textbooks to mull over and the folks letting us breathe easy,it would be a feast for our kid hearts!Ohh what lovely days!


As in every tropical country, it would also be the time for mangoes!Lovely amber-hued succulent mangoes with an enticing and lingering flavor!There were a whole gamut of varieties all of which was never known to me - not that I was too keen to know though!All that I was keen for was to dig my teeth greedily into the sweet fleshy mangoes. Visitors to our home would be treated to cooled and cubed mangoes, sometimes sprinkled with a fine dusting of rock salt and black pepper.Another of our favorites would be my Mom's homemade milkshake which she made a point to serve anytime I would bring my friends along.Skillfully extracting the pulp, she would blitz it together with cooled milk and sweeten it with sugar and a dash of honey.And what heavenly the frothy smoothie would taste on a tepid summer afternoon!
All said and done,I will now come out of my 'mango-ey' nostalgia and move ahead with my recipe for today.Well,since I have been rambling so long about summer contours,you must have guessed by now that my recipe will have something to do with summer!Rightly so, my recipe today is a very easy,sublime and lightly flavored Minced Chicken curry gently spiced and finished off with a light dash of lemon.Hope you enjoy the dish!Happy cooking!


Posting this recipe to Roz's beautiful blog titled 'La Bella Vita' and 'Friday Blog Hop' at Katherine's!!


Minced Chicken Curry
You will need:
Minced chicken - 500 gms
Onion - 2 small
Ginger - About an inch
Garlic - 5-6 cloves
Yogurt - 2 tablespoons,diluted with a little water
Green chillies
Capsicum - Chopped finely
Cilantro - Finely chopped
1 freshly cut lemon


Spices - 
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon


Canola or vegetable oil for cooking


How I made it:
1.First of all,grind the onion,ginger and garlic to a smooth paste.In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and when hot enough, add the green chillies.Next add in the onion,ginger and garlic paste and fry till oil starts leaving the sides of the pan.


2.Now add in the minced chicken to the fried spices. Next add in salt,turmeric powder,cumin powder and coriander powder and mix everything together very well.
3.When the minced chicken is slightly cooked,add in the yogurt and stir well once again.Adding the yogurt will change the color of the gravy to a very soothing ochre.


4.Next add in a little water to help the chicken cook and cover with a lid.Keeping the lid on for 5-10 mins,remove it and low down the flame to allow the gravy to simmer.
5.Once the minced chicken is cooked,put off heat and squeeze out the juice of one freshly-cut lemon and spread it evenly over the dish. For the final garnish, sprinkle finely chopped cilantro on top and serve with plain,white rice!Enjoy the summer!

8 thoughtful musings left behind...:

notyet100 said...

curry looks delicious,

Tina (PinayInTexas) said...

Chicken curry is a favorite here in our house! Your version looks so good!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Dear notyet100,
Glad that you liked it!Thanks for dropping by:)

Hello Tina,
Glad to know that you like my version.Give it a try sometime and let me know if your family liked it:)It is a hit with mine!Thanks so much for coming dear!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Chicken recipe looks simply lip smacking and would love to have a mouthful. Glad to follow you and tanks a lot for visiting my blog.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Medifast Coupons said...

Very nice looking chicken curry recipe, look forward to trying.

WizzyTheStick said...

Lovely recipe. I often cook up some curried green mangos alongside a dish like this.

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hey Wizzy,
That must taste absolutely delicious specially on a hot,summer afternoon.You must give me the recipe for that sometime!Thanks so much for stopping by:)

Cheers!

miri goes phishing! said...

this sounds like a nice idea...i hope god gives you the strength to rise over your troubles...n' i really hope you will get to be with your husband soon....

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!