About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Monday, March 14, 2011

My Curried chicken stew recipe - panacea for an overworked day!

I am sending this post to the 'Hearth and Soul' Blog Hop # 42and 'Friday Blog Hop' at Katherine's!!!

Also sending this curry recipe to the lovely event 'Hot n spicy treats' being hosted by Amy at her lovely blog 'Food Corner'. Do take a peek and join in to enjoy the spicy party!!
 I admit that I am obnoxiously busy!Almost disdainfully so!


I have not had the time to breathe even a full breath peacefully for the last two weeks.And eventually that has taken its toll on my resolve to update my blog on a gentlemanly regular basis. But I have really been feeling very very guilty about it all.


But then,luckily enough my workload has been coming down slowly over the weekend and this week it will hopefully be under my control.Which now leaves me some time to browse all the lovely posts that I had been missing all this time. So does it really become a habit,an obsession after some time - I was wondering the other day!I missed seeing the lovely posts,the beautiful pictures - missed drooling over the sumptuous spreads.More than being appeased gastronomically - because after all you can't eat out of a laptop screen - it feels like my eyes feel this almost ethereal comfort at just gazing at the lovely arrangements on offer. Not only the food,the embellishments that come along.I really feel so wonder struck at how creative people can actually be!


Speaking of creativity, my extreme busyness all this time helped me cook up a very easy peasy chicken curry which is almost like a cross between a curry and a stew,being bit heavier on the curry side.Ok,so I am being diplomatic here - I put is so cleverly across but to be honest,it was a very shortcut way of cooking chicken for an over strained body and mind that longed for something filling and tasty,but not fussy at the same time.This requires no marinating and cooks in less than 30 mins.
So any time,you are in the same situation as me,remember that this thoughtful albeit unabashedly lazy soul is here to your rescue! Till next time - happy living and happy cooking!


Simple 'n easy Chicken curry
You will need - 
Chicken - 500 gm,skinned and washed well.
Potatoes - 2 medium;Skinned and cubed.
Onion - 1 large;finely chopped.
Garlic - 2 cloves;finely chopped
Ginger - About 1 inch;finely chopped
Green Peppers - Finely chopped
I tomato - Finely chopped


Turmeric powder - 1 tablespoon
Cumin powder - 1 tablespoon
Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste


Cooking oil - 2 tablespoons


How I made it-
I always use a pressure cooking for cooking my stews and since this was desired to be one,I have used a cooker for this.In case you do not have one,you can use a wok,but that will revv up the cooking time bit.


1. Wash the chicken pieces and potatoes very well and pat dry with a kitchen towel.Smear 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of salt over the chicken and potatoes together and dust well.


2. In a pressure cooker,heat up the oil and fry the cubed potatoes first.When they are a slight golden, take them out of the oil and next add in the finely chopped onions,garlic and ginger. When the onion starts turning pink add the chopped Green Peppers and stir well.


3. Next add in the chicken pieces and the fried potato cubes back and mix well with the fried masala.Take care not to sear the masala as that may ruin the lightness of the stew. Add in the remaining turmeric,cumin and coriander powder and add some more salt if required.


4. After stirring around for 2-3 minutes, add the chopped tomatoes and give a final stir. The curry will now change its color to a glorious ochre and this is the moment when you will add about 3 full cups of water to turn the curry into a stew.


5.Give a good mix and then put on the cooker lid. Allow the chicken to cook up to 3 whistles and then put off the heat. Do not take off the lid immediately. Allow the chicken to cook some more time in the steam before the whole steam is exhausted.


6. Serve hot with plain white rice or you can even have it with roughly torn pieces of fresh,baked bread.Feel your nerves open up to the lightness of the stew and relax while you enjoy your meal!

9 thoughtful musings left behind...:

notyet100 said...

curry looks yum,.

Dan said...

I'd never thought about making a curry in a pressure cooker. really neat idea!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hi notyet100,
Thanks a bunch!:)

Hello Dan,
Thats really an easy-peasy and fast way of cooking your chicken curry!Give it a go sometime and do let me know:)Thanks for coming!

Cheers!

Kankana said...

That's generally how I make chicken when i am craving for it and lazy to cook in some grand way :) Thanks a lot for sharing this with Hearth and Soul Hop!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

You are right Kankana!Thats the reason why I call it my 'con' chicken;)Thanks so much for coming!

Cheers!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

This recipe sounds lovely with just the right amount of spice - yum! Thank you for linking up with Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home. Hope you will come by and link up again this week.

Sarah said...

oh boy! yumminess!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

Thank you also for linking up to Hearth and Soul and to Let's Do Brunch!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello April,
Thanks so much for stopping by and I'm really glad you liked the recipe:)I enjoy linking up to the Hops coz I get to see such lovely recipes out there!Sure will come by!

Thanks so much for dropping in Sarah and glad that you liked my recipe:)

Cheers!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!