About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Homemade Chicken Cutlet - celebrating the first summer rains and (hopefully)a win!

Linking this post to Torview's awesome event 'Food palette series brown',  'Friday Blog Hop' at Katherine's, 'Hearth and Soul' Blog Hop#43 and 'Midweek Fiesta # 6' at Amy's place!
The television is blaring at my place - the second Quarterfinal match of the World Cup is on and India and Australia are heavily pitted against each other.I have a roomful of people in the den - some perched on sofa handles,some sprawled on the floor - someone bundled up on ready-to-burst cushions and one simply spread out on the couch without a bother in the world!Yes,we Indians are darn cricket fans and this is how my living area looks when the Husband and his dear friends moot for a cricket match and a World Cup match at that!Not that I mind though:)


Its only that the decibels run too high at times and my kitchen space is the only place where my ears find refuge and respite!I had been too engrossed in the match to notice that the summer skies had overclouded in the meantime.In no time, the usually warm air became laden with a damp veneer and my skin bristled when the cool breeze brushed against my arms.
Within a couple of minutes,the raindrops tumbled down in big droplets - first summer rains!The parched earth greedily drank in the water as if to quench the thirsty crevices inside.And the earthy smell of the dank earth swirled about in the air.


I was taking this all in when suddenly I remembered my flower pots!The pots must be brimming with water - now that the pattering had almost turned into a downpour.Sure enough the petunias were all drenched and shivering in the rain.Seemed as if they watched me with bitter slight as I arranged them on the porch under the shade:)


With this done,I now turned my attention to the hungry pack that brawled and bantered in my living area.I knew that the popcorn could not keep the tempo on for too long - something had to come out of my kitchen!So on this cacophonous summer evening, I stepped into my kitchen to prick and prod and prepare my Homemade Chicken Cutlet.The summer rains on my rooftop,the pitter-patter on my windowsill - the sizzling oil in the wok and a burgeoning battle in the den - I'm not sure if India will make it to the Finals,but I hope my cutlet will be wiped clean off the plates!Hope for the best!


Asha from Fork Spoon Knife is hosting a very thoughtful event titled ' International Food Blogger's Action for Japan' in a bid to accrue some humble contribution for the disaster-hit people of Japan. The auction amount will be handed over to the Japanese Red Cross Society.

I wanted to help by spreading the word through my blog - please take out  some time to visit the event details at Asha's place and help to spread the word!


Homemade Chicken Cutlet
You will need:
Minced Chicken - 500 gms
Onion - 2 large;finely minced
Garlic cloves - 5-6 large;finely minced
Ginger - About 1 and half inches;finely minced
Green Peppers - Finely minced
Cilantro  - Finely chopped
Tomato - 1 small;finely chopped
Green chillies - Finely chopped


Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala powder - 1 teaspoon
Black pepper powder - Half a teaspoon


The whites of 2 large eggs
Biscuit crumbs or bread crumbs to coat the cutlets before frying


Canola oil/Vegetable oil for cooking and frying


For Garnish - 
Cucumber - Cut into thin roundlets
Green peppers - Finely slivered into roundlets
Onions - Finely slivered into thin roundlets




How I made it:
1. Allow the minced chicken to defrost (if refrigerated) and come up to room temperature.Use a pressure cooker to steam the minced chicken.I generally allow 2 whistles for fresh minced chicken and it 3 whistles for refrigerated chicken would be good enough.


2. In a separate wok, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil.When the oil is hot enough,add the minced onion,garlic and ginger.Fry them together and add a pinch of salt.


3. Next add the green peppers and green chillies. When done,add in the steamed minced chicken to the wok.Take care to drain the water before adding as any juice from the steamed chicken will make the mixture mushy.Mix the minced chicken very well with the fried spices.


4. Between cooking the meat, add the cumin,coriander,Black pepper and Garam Masala powders and mix well. Once done,add in the finely chopped tomato and give a quick stir.


5. When the chicken is cooked well, strew the chopped coriander amd mix everything well before taking it off the heat.Allow the mixture to cool down a bit while the coating is prepared.


6. In a bowl,take the egg whites and beat gently with a fork.It doesn't need to be frothy - just a run through would be good enough.In a plate,spread out the biscuit or bread crumbs for coating the cutlet.In a deep-bottomed pan, heat another 2 tablespoons of oil to fry the cutlets.


7. The Chicken cutlets that we Bengalis have are usually square-ish in shape.So to fashion out this cutlet,take a palmful of the mixture on a flat surface and pat gently to form a rough square.Next roll once over the crumbs to coat very lightly - it should not be a heavy coating as that might ruin the taste.
8. Now strew a bit of the egg white mixture with the fork over the surface facing you and rub gently with the back of the fork.Dip the cutlet with the egg side down in the hot oil and do the same with the egg white mixture on the surface that now faces you.


9. When one side is fried, tip over and fry the other side as well.Dress the cucumber,peppers and slivered onions with a pinch of salt and black pepper and serve as garnish with the Chicken Cutlet!Your Homemade Chicken Cutlet is ready!

6 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Torviewtoronto said...

thank you
I like these savoury cutlets as snacks

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Thanks a lot Torview!

And since this is also 'Brown' I might as well link this up to your event:)So here you go!

Cheers!

Torviewtoronto said...

thank you for linking

Ambreen said...

Looks delicious!!! The flavor combos in this sound fantastic. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving such nice comments :)

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I love the flavour combinations in these delicious chicken cutlets - what lovely warming comfort food. Thank you for sharing with The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Thanks so much for visiting April!I'm really glad that you liked my recipe so much:)You are right about these cutlets being comfort food - they are indeed so on a lovely and lazy summer day!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!