About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Penne Rigate with Mushrooms a la Nigella

I had grown this strange obsession with cooking pasta a couple of months back.It was weird since pasta was one of the things that I admittedly was very scared to cook!


My household was full of noodles-lovers and we used to have different variations of noodles for our different meals - but not Pasta.Either we thought of it as too extravagant - considering that you have to have at least a  minimum of cheese and mushrooms to rustle up a pasta dish worth serving.Whether right or wrong,it happened to remain elusive for long.
But then,one day I took up the cudgels and geared myself up to cook a pasta dish - thanks to my very dear friend who was ready on her life to devour whatever I would manage to churn out provided that I give it a try!I tried a Rotini pasta recipe and it actually turned out to be good.I was so elated that I immediately blogged about it and everyone I served it to had only nice things to say!


That emboldened me - and my next step was to try out another pasta recipe.This time I took a more professional approach and whom to approach other than Nigella-the Kitchen Goddess!I type 'Nigella Pasta' and thanks to Google Instant, I had 'Nigella Pasta Recipes' on my browser.I wasted not a minute and went coursing through the recipes until I slopped on one - Nigella's pasta recipe with mushroom,garlic,thyme and parsley!


I flew off to cook my first Penne pasta dish under the keen and watchful eyes of my dear friend(yes,she was there to my rescue again!) and Nigella.I did tweak a good number of ingredients that Nigella used and even added a couple of new ones. I added brocolli florets and Romano tomatoes,Mozzarella cheese(that was there in my fridge!) and the parsley made way to fresh green cilantro.I did away with the thyme simply because I did not have it in my kitchen at that time.But the dish remained essentially Nigella-ish.And then there was no looking back!


This recipe of mine goes to the lovely event titled 'Forever Nigella ' being hosted by Sarah of Maison Cupcake.There is going to be a theme every month based on which one can either blog about one of Nigella Lawson's recipes from any of her fantastic cookbooks or else write about a recipe adapted from any of Nigella's recipes,keeping in mind that any two ingredients need to be changed.
In case one decides to stick to the original recipe,the name of the original source needs to be published and the recipe maybe published on Nigella.com which houses many of the Domestic Goddess's interesting recipes!No recipe is to be replicated verbatim from any of Nigella's published recipes.


The theme for this month is 'Seasonal Sensations' and the splendid rhapsody of fresh seasonal veggies coupled with the silky texture of Penne in butter, strewn with fried chicken struck me as the perfect recipe to suit the theme.So here goes my recipe for Crunchy Penne Rigate with Mushrooms.Enjoy,eat and let eat!


Crunchy Penne Rigate with Mushrooms


What I used:
Penne Rigate pasta - 125 gms
Brocolli  - Cut thinly into florets
Garlic cloves - 4-5;sliced thinly
Romano tomatoes - 2 chopped roughly
Green chillies - deseeded and chopped
A bunch of cilantro - Finely chopped
Mushrooms - I had used Chestnut mushrooms in this dish;any other mushroom thinly sliced would be good
Boneless chicken - Diced into small chunks


Olive oil - 1 and a half tablespoons
Mozzarella cheese - Shredded
Butter - A biggish chunk
Salt to taste
Black Pepper


How I made it:
1. Boil water in a deep-bottomed bowl and add a spoonful of salt when the water comes to a bubble.Next add in the Penne Rigate and let it cook.


2. In a separate pan, heat up the Olive oil and add the chicken pieces to the oil.Brown the chicken slightly and once cooked,remove from the oil and keep aside. Next add in the sliced garlic,chillies,brocolli and chopped Romano tomatoes to the oil.Saute a little and then season with some salt and pepper.


3. Check the pasta and see if it is cooked.Once cooked,drain all the water and add the butter to the cooked pasta.Give a good stir so that the pasta does not stick together. There should be a smooth silkiness to the whole affair!


4.Next,add the butter-smeared crunchy pasta to the sauteed vegetables in the pan and mix very well with a spatula.Add the fried chicken kept aside earlier and give another mix.
5. Generously spread the shredded Mozzarella cheese on top of the cooked pasta. The cheese will melt slowly and get slathered over the pasta.Strew freshly chopped cilantro on top.Add another dash of black pepper and check the salt.For the last touch,top with a gentle serving of olive oil all over the dish and serve hot.Crunchy Penne Rigate with Mushrooms is ready a la Nigella!

14 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Sharmila said...

I love pasta as they are so easy to make. This one sounds great! :-)

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Nice to see you drop by,Sharmila:)Really glad to know that you liked my recipe!It indeed is super-simple to make and a personal favorite at my end as well.

Thanks for coming and do keep on dropping by:)
Take care!

Jaya said...

Nigella and penne pasta recipe , well this has to be delicious and yum..Happy new year to you and yours ,hope I am not that late in wishing:)..hugs and smiles

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

This sounds a delicious dinner, Nigella does many many pasta recipes and I hope you feel inspired to try them all out!

Thank you very much for taking part in the first Forever Nigella and I hope to see you again in future months.

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Dear Jaya,
The dish was indeed simple and yummy...all thanks to Nigella!But the thought of cooking Penne came to me from you,so in a way,I owe you this dish:)

Dear Sarah,
Ya I really do!Nigella has really been an obsession and her recipes - out of the world.
Thanks for the lovely event...and for dropping by:)Do keep on coming back!

Cheers!

PreeOccupied said...

I like Nigella too, her recipes are super easy and often most of the ingredients are already at home.

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Dear Pree,
You are absolutely right!The thing I like most about her is how she goes about everything with an angelic smile on her face...shows how much she enjoys cooking and being in her kitchen!Don't you agree?

Thanks for dropping by!:)

Cheers!

Brownieville Girl said...

I love dishes like these - easy and tasty!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hey Brownville Girl,
So nice to see you drop by and glad that you liked my recipe!:)You too have a lovely space out here and I really loved your Chocolate Chip Snacking cake...looks gorgeous and yummy:)
Do drop in again sometime!

Cheers!

magi said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!


Wok Cooker

Christina Petersen said...

Hi there,

We've recently launched the site www.canadiandishes.com, where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from Canadian food sites and food blogs.

We’ve noticed that you have a great number of tasty, original recipes on your site and we would like to suggest you to have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here:
http://www.canadiandishes.com/top-food-blogs

If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on Canadiandishes.com all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.canadiandishes.com/add-your-food-blog
Our concept is already live in Mexico, US, France, Italy and Spain amongst others. We deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 10,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis.

We hope you will join us and your food blog will be up there in the top!

Warm regards,
Christina
www.canadiandishes.com





Anonymous said...

I like what you guys are usually up toо.
This tуpе оf сleνer ωorκ anԁ гeρorting!

Keep uр the wondeгful worκѕ guyѕ Ι've added you guys to my blogroll.

Here is my blog: Dien thoai

Anonymous said...

I got this web pagе fгοm my pal who tοlԁ mе regaгdіng this ωеbsite and noω this tіme Ι am broωѕіng this ωebѕitе
аnd геading very informаtive агticlеs аt
this time.

My web ρagе: may tinh

Anonymous said...

Then, an &#1110n&#1109&#1110der emerges, seemingly ρhoneѕ m&#1072ԁe by Samsung, LG, Motorοla, and cеll phone Νokia.


Also visіt my blog post - wikilentillas.com

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!