About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Home and hearth on a new morn - Happy New Year 2011!

And what a way it was to start the New Year!The New Year started off on a weekend.Seemed so prim 'n propah that the three sixty-five days chapter would close so correctly on a Friday and a new day and a new year would start fresh on a Saturday morning!


It was the harbinger of good tidings - I knew in my heart of hearts and yes it was!I checked the yearly holiday list and there were teeming long weekends gawking at me!Hurrah!Happy times ahead!:)


The very first day of the year,I decided to stay close to my hearth,the place that feels so therapeutic to me at times - almost like a loyal companion.There are times when I walk through the front door,tired after a particularly tough day at work and a throbbing head.But then when I freshen up and walk over to my little kitchen space,a cushiony warmth fills my heart.A tug here and a shift there - the cups go to the racks,the chopping board flies into one of the cabinets -  I sponge off a drop of water that has trickled down from the just-washed spoon.I fiddle about the things in my kitchen space,arranging and re-arranging them and although all of this may just seem humbug - for me,its like spending time in a place I can call entirely my own.


So,the day and this year started off with me rustling up a quick and easy chicken recipe in my kitchen- boneless chicken pieces cooked in the juices of slivered onions.I could not think of a fashionable name for this dish and thought of keeping it short and simple.Hence I've christened it 'Onion Chicken'.Here goes the recipe - an ode to my prized larder!


Does you kitchen fell therapeutic to you too?Do you let your hair down while rustling up dishes for your family or is it more of a daily chore?Do share your thoughts - would love to know!


Sending this to 'Friday Blog Hop' at Katherine's!!




Onion chicken
You will need:
Chicken (boneless) - 500 gms
Onions - 6-7 if big;finely cut into juliennes.
Ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste - 1/2 teaspoon
Capsicum/Peppers - 1/2 finely cut into juliennes


Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking


How to make it:
1. Wash the chicken pieces very well and rub with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder.In a wok,heat about 2 tablespoons of oil and let it smoke slightly.


2. When the oil gets heated up,fry the chicken pieces till a light golden brown tinge appears.Remove the pieces from the oil and drain on a kitchen napkin.


3. Once the boneless chicken pieces are fried,add the sugar,onions,ginger paste and garlic paste to the oil and fry them well.You may cover and cook but take care not to sear the onions.


4. When the onions turn slightly translucent,add in the peppers and fry again very subtly.Take care not to put the heat up.The onions should get fried on a low flame so that the juices come start coming out.


5. Remove the cover and give a quick stir now and then till the juices of the onion start coming out.Next add the fried chicken pieces and mix well with the fried onion and spices.Add some ore salt and the cumin powder for an earthy flavor and cover and cook again.


6. After a couple of minutes,remove the cover and add a cupful of water.Stir the chicken well and allow it to cook.Cover the wok with a lid.
7. When the water has almost boiled off,and the onion has caramelized completely,remove the lid and prod with a spoon to check if the chicken has cooked well on the insides.Serve hot with Brown rice pilaf or any type of bread or puffed 'Luchi! Enjoy with family and friends!

1 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Sharmila said...

Happens to me all the time ... I experiment and get stuck when it comes to naming it. :-)
It will be luchis for me with this dish.

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!