About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Sunday, January 30, 2011

A carroty tale to ebb the tide - Creamy Carrot Kheer

I had made a promise to myself to be a more dedicated blogger this year - in the sense that I would log in more frequently,loiter about more in blogosphere, peep into more beautifully crafted blogs and make more blogger friends.T'was a New Year resolution of sorts - if you might put it that way!


But that was not to be!With my head reeling from an astoundingly heavy workload, I found myself working my time away.The weekends somehow flew by,one Monday followed another with the days in between vanishing like the rice off a hungry man's plate!


I needed to water my plants as I helplessly saw them wilt away by my window side, I wanted to walk aimlessly down the aisle of the local grocery looking for nothing in particular but savoring the anticipation of chancing upon something that I might suddenly want to buy.Potter about my kitchen and suddenly rush off to cook something that has struck my mind like lightening.Live some time of my life absolutely uninhibited with no routine in particular,no timelines to meet,no nagging worries to pound my head!


But then,I realised it all comes in a package.A brutish day at work ends with a cosy day at home with a cup of coffee and nice chit-chat with Husband dear, a nice peaceful day eventually signs off with naive bickering - a peaceful day at work often extrapolates into a peaceful day at home as well!So if everything comes in nice proportions,so does my dear ol' blog and my ramblings! I will find time to post,and I will find time to make friends - at least I feel I can - whaddya say?


Having said so,I will post my recipe for Carrot Kheer today.I must confess that the photos of my dish have not been very good,since it was a cellphone camera at work rather than my usual machine!But behind the grainy veneer,the dish turned out nice and that is the reason why I would love to share it with you!So here it goes!


Creamy Carrot Kheer


You will need:
Carrots - 250 gms;peeled and grated to a mush in a blender
Khoya kheer - 25 gms
Sugar - About 100 gms
Full fat milk - Half a litre
Ghee or clarified butter - 2 tablespoonfuls


Bay leaves - 1 or 2
Whole cardamom pods - 1or 2
Cashewnuts - Roasted on a light flame


How I made it:
1. In a deep bottomed pan, boil the milk and wait for it  come to a bubble.Once it starts bubbling reduce the flame and allow it to thicken a bit on a low flame.Take care not to let it get burnt at the bottom and stir occasionally with a spoon.Take out the Cardamom seeds from the pods and throw them into the hickened milk.Add the bay leaves as well.


2. In a wok, add the Ghee and  allow it to melt. When it is melted, add the grated carrot mush and allow it to cook.The color of the carrot will gradually change from a raw orange to saffron and that is when you know that it is cooking.


3. Stir the carrot occasionally and keep on doing that until the rawness disappears. Now add the Khoya Kheer and give another good mix.


4. When the carrot is fully cooked, add in the sugar and allow it to caramelize a bit.That will add color to the Kheer. 


5. Finally add in the thickened milk slowly and stir quickly. The milk will get absorbed quite swiftly so take care to handle this very deftly.The carrot mush should retain its moisture and not become dry absorbing just the right amount of milk to cook in.
6. Stir very well and when the milk starts drying up,put off the flame and sprinkle the roasted cashew nuts on top.Your Creamy Carrot Kheer should be ready to serve!

3 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Jaya said...

eyi kicho din agey gajar halva baniyechi..winter and carrot halva is must i guess ..i love gajar halva..hugs and smiles

Cynthia said...

Carrot kheer - what an original idea!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello Jaya,
So true!!Tried out this variation of Kheer for a change...and it turned out to be equally amazing!Thanks so much for coming!:)

Hi Cynthia,
Thanks for dropping by and really glad that you liked my recipe!:)

Cheers!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!