About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Rotini pasta with chicken and veggies

I am sending this post to Presto Pasta Nights # 205 being hosted by Debbie at her space 'Debbie Does Dinner' , 'Hearth and Soul Blog Hop # 39' and 'These Chicks Cooked Link Party- Featuring your Best Recipes #29' at Katie's place!!


So here I am back,after a longish self-imposed exile.For those of you who might be wondering where I had been all these months (the last post I had written was in May), I was visiting home. I have been back for quite sometime now but I guess procrastination got the better of me as it has been doing always!:)

Anyway,it was so great to be back here after the hiatus.I have been doing a good amount of cooking in the meantime and had been clicking away photos of my creations in all glory.I start off my return innings by posting a pasta recipe which is extremely simple to make but astonishingly yummy,given the time and effort to cook it.All I needed was some vegetables and a few things which are almost manna for any pasta recipe.I will not say I am a regular with pasta because in reality I actually am quite scared of cooking pasta.The impish devil inside my head keeps on giving me scary premonitions about over-boiling the pasta and turning it into an inedible mush.But the rotini pasta proved to be quite tame and malleable and saved me from sacrilege whatsoever!So if I could cook pasta,with all these challenges to wrestle with,I bet anyone can.So here goes my rotini pasta recipe!Happy cooking!:)




Cheesy rotini pasta with chicken

You will need:

Rotini pasta - 450 gms
Chicken - boneless;chopped into small cubes
Onions - 1 white onion;julienned
Broccoli - About 3-4 florets;pared into separate small florets.Keep the stem on so that the florets do not disintegrate and become mushy.
Cherry tomatoes - 3-4; chopped into small pieces
Portobello Mushrooms - Sliced thinly;Any other sliced mushroom will also do.
Chillies - 3-4 finely chopped
Capsicum - Finely chopped

Spices:
Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
Mexican chili powder(optional) - 1 teaspoon
Salt

Margarine - 3 tablespoons
Cooking oil(Canola or vegetable oil) - 2 teaspoons
Shredded Mozzarella cheese

How I made it:

Boiling the pasta
1. Take a big deep-bottomed container, preferably a pot-shaped utensil and fill it with water.Allow the water to come to a boil and once it starts boiling,add 2 teaspoons of salt.
2. Add the rotini pasta to the boiling water.The bubbling will immediately subside. Stir the pasta with a wooden spatula till the water comes to a boil again.
3. Check the pasta to see if it has softened and the starch has come off.Be careful not to overcook the pasta otherwise it may turn mushy and loose its crispiness.
4. Once the pasta is done, take the pot off the heat and add cold water to stop cooking immediately.This also helps separate out the starch.
5. Strain the pasta using a strainer or sieve to drain off all the water.The pasta should turn have turned a tad creamish in color by now.



Cooking the pasta
1.In a pan, add the Margarine and the cooking oil.Adding the cooking oil prevents the Margarine from burning.Allow the Margarine to melt and then add the cubed chicken pieces.Stir well till the chicken turns from pinkish to whitish and then add the sliced mushrooms. Sauté for a while and next add the chopped onions,capsicum and broccoli.Stir well till the vegetables are well-cooked.
2. At this point, add in a pinch of salt.Next add the boiled pasta kept aside earlier.Mix all the ingredients very well.
3. When the vegetables start to wilt, add the chopped Cherry tomatoes and give another good stir.Next scatter the shredded cheese over the cooked pasta and allow the cheese to melt.The cheese will turn gooey in a while and blend well with the cooked pasta.


4. Switch off the heat and add the Black pepper and Mexican chili powder.Give another good hearty stir and your rotini pasta with chicken is ready to serve.Smear another good serving of cheese atop each plateful of pasta and watch your plates clear off in minutes!

6 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Sharmila said...

Looks awesome! Yum yum yum. :-)

Jaya said...

lovely preparation with rotini.Have you tried penne, seyi ta O besh bhalo hoye ,and yes coming back from home also made me little slow on blogging front,I am also catching up with things here slowly..
hugs and smiles

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Sharmila,
Thanks for visiting my blog and hope to see you back pretty soon!Take care!

Jaya,
Penne try korini,but will do so soon.Ekta bhalo recipe peyechhi where you cook the penne with garlic shavings...try kore dekhi,jodi bhalo hoy definitely post korbo:) And thanks for dropping by!

Aurelia said...

I love the pasta spirals, they always look so nice and tasty! Great looking dish, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

I'm also taking part in the Hearth & Soul hop and that's how I found your blog.

Christy said...

I love all pasta and evidently grew up on mushy (my husband thinks I overcook it) so I am never afraid of pasta - rotini is a great choice - I love your dish and would certainly use the chili powder. Welcome to the Hearth and Soul Hop - and back to blogging!
Thanks for linking up!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello Aurelia!
So nice to meet you and glad that you liked my recipe!I love almost all the pasta shapes around,but Rotini is my favorite,I guess:)Thanks for dropping in!

Hi Christy,
So nice to see you again!Sure do give it a try and I know it will turn out good:)Take care!

Cheers!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!