About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Koraishutir Kochuri - the green peas magic and more!

This post of mine goes to the fabulous event titled 'A.W.E.D- Indian Cuisine' started by DK of 'Chef in You' and being hosted by Ayeesha in her lovely blog 'Taste of Pearl City'
Phew!It was a long day at work today.Loads of work unfolded the moment I entered my overloaded mailbox early in the morning.The hours ticked by as I shuffled about my desk,sifting through the paperwork and mincing with numbers and figures. By the time I wrapped up,the sun was still high up in the sky.When I first set foot in this part of the world, I would be in awe to see the sun gleaming down at us  even at eight in the evening.In the country of my birth, eight in the evening is almost like deep in the night!

I never remember when I had rested my head on a pillow and dozed off till the soft pitter-patter of raindrops woke me up.Big droplets of rain were somersaulting on the awning atop my neighbors doorway.We have quite a funny arrangement in the apartment that I live.The window in my bedroom overlooks the doorway that leads to the front door of my neighbor above.It sounds sort of weird,but then the arrangement is convenient in the sense that we do not come into each other's way when we go out or come in.There is the much needed space that everyone has a willful right to, I guess.



Anyway, I shook myself up and clambered out of the unkempt bed with slumber till clinging on heavily to my benumbed senses.I rolled down the blinds and there it was!Sharp shards of summer rain lashing straight onto my porch and shiny droplets of water waiting to roll off the velvety green leaves.My mind wandered to muddy roads and small puddles of water on which I would set afloat small boats fashioned hurriedly out of newspapers, as a kid!And yes,the earthy cinnamony fragrance of summer rains seeping into the parched mud.The same smell that reminds me of the rains back home.

I had a friend team up with me this Sunday to churn out Koraishutir Kochuri (a deep-fried bread made with flour and stuffed with spiced green pea mush) and Aloor Dum (a spicy potato curry prepared the Bengali way) from the larder.The combination of Kochuri and Aloor Dum, an oft-repeated delicacy in almost all Bengali homes, made us wallow in the aroma of the magical spices that wafted through hearth and home.It was a Sunday well spent and well-fed!

For today's post, I will post our Koraishutir Kochuri and Aloor Dum recipe,the way we had prepared it.It may not be the traditional rendition and that is a disclaimer I owe to all my readers.Nevertheless, it is the rendition that we managed to churn out and forgive me for gloating sheepishly but I must say,you can give it a try.So long,happy reading and happy cooking!



Koraishutir Kochuri and Aloor Dum

For the Kochuri you will need:
White flour - Around 500 gms
Green peas - Around 200 gms. Blitzed in a blender to a mush

Spices
Whole jeera - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 3/4th teaspoon
Jeera powder - 3/4th teaspoon
Salt and sugar

For the Aloor Dum:
Potatoes - 4-5 medium sized;Skinned and cubed
Onions - 3-4 medium sized;finely chopped.Red onions will be better but white onions will also do.
Tomato - 1 whole medium-sized;pureed or finely chopped
Capsicum/Peppers - Finely chopped.
Ginger paste - 1 heaped teaspoon
Garlic paste - 1 heaped teaspoon
Green Chillies -Finely chopped

Spices:
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Jeera powder - 1 teaspoon
Dhania powder - 1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon;Whole spices will also do.
Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt and sugar

For garnish:
Coriander leaves - Finely chopped
Fried Jeera masala - We have anointed it 'Bhaja Masala' in Bengali which means 'Fried Masala'.We make this by roasting whole jeera and 1-2 dry green chillies on a very hot 'Tava' or skillet. Once roasted, grind the fried cumin and chillies to a coarse powder.The pungence of the roasted cumin will permeate instantly when it is pound.

Cooking Oil:
White vegetable/Canola oil - for fryng the Kochuri
Mustard oil - for the Aloor Dum


How we made it:

Aloor Dum:
1. In a wok, add 3 tablespoons Mustard oil and allow to heat up. When hot enough, add the Garam Masal powder or the whole Garam Masala spices, whichever is available. Fry for a minute and then add the chopped green chillies.

2. Next add the chopped onions, peppers, garlic and ginger pastes and cook well. Let the onions turn pinkish and translucent.At this point, add in the salt, sugar,turmeric,jeera and dhania powder and stir well.

3. Next add in the chopped tomatoes and mix together well with the cooked masala.By this time, the spices must be well-cooked and oil will start leaving the sides.Add in the skinned and cubed potatoes and mix the masala well with the spice mixture.

4. Once the potatoes get coated nicely, add in water to cook the potatoes.Cover and let simmer with an occasional stir now and then.When the potatoes are cooked though and the gravy has thickened, add in another pinch of garam masala and switch off the heat.

5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle the 'Bhaja Masala' all over the 'Aloor Dum.'If your taste demands, add in a few squirts of fragrant lemon juice and your Bengali 'Aaloor Dum' is ready!


Koraishutir Kochuri:
1. Add 1 tablespoon of white cooking oil to the flour and knead it very well to form a soft dough.The oil should not be too much as it may make the Kochuri too flaky.

2. Heat up 1 teaspoon of mustard oil in a skillet and when hot, add the whole jeera to the oil. Allow the jeera to splutter before adding the green pea mush.Stir well and when the rawness of the peas disappears, add salt and 3/4th teaspoon of sugar. Now add a pinch of turmeric and jeera powder and cook the mush well till oil leaves the sides and the mush is totally cooked.

3. Allow the cooked green pea mush to cool down. Now make small balls from the dough, press the center to form a pouch and push in a bit of the cooked mush into the pouch.Gather the dough from all ends in the center to close the pouch and flatten it with the palm of your hands.

4. Next roll out and flatten the dough slowly and gently with a rolling pin into a roundish shape.Take care not to exert too much pressure while using the rolling pin or else the mush may just squeeze out.

5. In a deep-bottomed wok, add white oil enough to immerse and fry the Kochuris.When the oil is smoking hot, gently lower in the Kochuri and watch it fill out to form a roundish crisp Kochuri.Fry all the Kochuris in the same way in smoking hot oil.

35 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Hema said...

Hi.. I was very glad to see your comment.. you made my day.. it is the support of you friends that make me want to blog.. Glad you liked my blog.. you have a wonderful space yourself.. It is raining here too and I exactly know the earthy scent you are talking about.. the dishes are perfect to go on a rainy day! The pic are mouth watering

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hema,
Felt so nice to know that you like my little space out here:)Please do keep on coming back!

Umm Mymoonah said...

Both Kachori and dum aloo looks fabulous. Spicy and yummy recipes. Thank you for sending them to AWED.

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Dear Mymoonah,
Glad that you liked my recipe so much:)And thanks for the lovely event!

Cheers!

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

wow, nice blog dear, love it. Great looking Kachoris. Following your blog.

Hey, I saw that you live in Canada and I was wondering if you saw about "MAITRI - A Friendship Chain" event. If not, please do take a look and try to participate, it will be fun :)

http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/03/maitri-friendship-chain.html

Send me an email @ priya.mitharwal@gmail.com

There is also an event going on in my blog called "Flavors of Bengal" and I will appreciate your participation :)

Anonymous said...

In most years, diamond sawing could get down to 135 microns thin or possibly a lower amount.



Feel free to visit my website: http://Gsaser.Com.pl

Anonymous said...

Piano teacher software is updated tool in teaching music
during its best.

Feel free to surf to my web blog szambo

Anonymous said...

The employment of solar cellular matrix in the house usually quite
really expensive.

Here is my web-site agencja detektywistyczna warszawa

Anonymous said...

Finding vacation villas to rent here and holiday apartments to rent
payment is a piece of cake. Marketplace is one of the most lucrative investment options.


my weblog; ochrona obiektów lublin

Anonymous said...

If booking feed talent, arrange for you to hear a in real time
performance before arranging. Possess forgotten the music tradition of all
their nation.

my blog kancelaria adwokacka łódź

Anonymous said...

Think about guaranteed issue health insurance if you have a pre-existing condition.
Bulky stools are easier provided they are not hard.


Visit my blog :: tłumaczenia rosyjski Katowice

Anonymous said...

It is rapid to spot environmentally friendly products.
This helps counteract the number an individual concern of quite
a few consumers - will cost you.

Here is my homepage :: agencja detektywistyczna warszawa

Anonymous said...

We had arrived married to somebody who became an emotionally abusive alcoholic.


Here is my web blog - agencja detektywistyczna warszawa

Anonymous said...

However, the source treated with diatomaceous earth only skilled 15you decide.
The prices will vary due to the company signing up the plan.


Here is my webpage; biuro detektywistyczne

Anonymous said...

Because of this situation, isolation exercise work outs is performed.
Lots of people show themselves as a great MMA killer but it
isn't actually so.

Here is my web site: biuro detektywistyczne warszawa

Anonymous said...

Today, they and their partners indulge in a well-established item.
The employment of solar skin cells in the home is usually quite very expensive.


Feel free to visit my homepage :: biuro detektywistyczne

Anonymous said...

The main difference of an employee and one contractor centers on the market autonomy and
control. You can be trained and safer here in just
30 days or weeks.

My site - usługi detektywistyczne

Anonymous said...

Many of your are easy so as to put up and as well
just as easy to do to remove. Fetch vital info as part of the sphere to do with
- go along this web website online.

Also visit my blog - usługi detektywistyczne

Anonymous said...

As though I said earlier, the Dub turbo 2.
0 is compatible on a Personal pc or a Mac pc.

my website ... usługi detektywistyczne warszawa

Anonymous said...

The use of solar skin cells in the home is usually quite pricey.
Find out considerably more about solar panel since the
site followed below.

Here is my web-site ... detektywi warszawa

Anonymous said...

Also the clients are offered best quality frequently of
their expenses.

Also visit my homepage ... prywatny detektyw

Anonymous said...

To prepare for a fight, create a level and conditioning service.
This is the acquire to do some-thing so others
should be able to see what you could have done.

Here is my web site :: pobierowo

Anonymous said...

Down Wares- Mug may be the typical item to do this category.
And if it's a quiet month, you can generally write articles that might help your customers .

Take a look at my web-site: zespół muzyczny Poznań

Anonymous said...

Use up your money on enjoying the back rather than on the first class resort.


Feel free to visit my webpage: tanie wczasy

Anonymous said...

Lots of people recommend themselves as a great MMA killer but it isn't actually so. Isolation exercises include single- joint and isometrics exercises.

Also visit my web-site ... ochrona przeciwpożarowa

Anonymous said...

Keep It Official - As mentioned before, the web publication is not one source for marketing and
advertising. But allow room for your bloggers true speech analysis to come through.


Here is my page ... borelioza

Anonymous said...

An individual a song in addition , dance as a way to
e temps happiness. Similarly, African Music is different in various parts of the country.



Here is my blog borelioza

Anonymous said...

Compare several developers and check presently there their quotations and written
proposals bit of research on.

my webpage; wycieczki last minute

Anonymous said...

As soon as you are not for you to do this, produces tell and again, no sale.
Other times, separate supplements like aminoacid powder and rr 3 pills get suggested.


Here is my web-site :: organizacja-wczasów.pl

Anonymous said...

Do that will like weeding the most important garden - move the "roots" towards the
stressful tricks. No-cost Speech: Should females
be allowed when you need to offend each other?


Feel free to surf to my page tanie noclegi zakopane

Anonymous said...

It is essential not to hurt any particular social or religion.
Extra padding t-shirts are selling it to be messengers to suit many different options of mail announcements.


Here is my website - rolety tychy

Anonymous said...

Which the city also showcases its rich history
of public art in Downtown Fullerton.

my page - grzejniki dekoracyjne

Anonymous said...

Music mixing software works exactly like editing software or a substantial Editing Program.
Learn how fabulous country songs were recorded there on legends like Elvis presley.



Take a look at my web blog :: minimalne wymagania maszyn

Anonymous said...

Find out what kinds for warranties the equipments comes with.

Additionally, advanced techniques for precious stone growing and separating will assist in
price reductions.

Here is my page - gsa search engine ranker

Anonymous said...

Other high-quality Tapco brake brands are the PRO 16 and the "Windy" SP series.
Therefore, it eliminates all factor of useless reflection.


Check out my blog post: pozycjonowanie

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!