About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Soul curry and a New Year!Subho Noboborsho!

I celebrated the Bengali New Year at home in India this year!The year 1417(lest you get petrified,the Indian-Bengali calendar does have a different calculation and algorithm altogether,hence the year is not 2010 but 1417!) seeped into me very smoothly and joyfully over delectable Bengali recipes prepared very lovingly by my Maa,who was seeing her little one home after quite some time:).

 Life here is so different from the place 20 hours away...but it seems cakewalk now to gel smoothly into wherever I am at whichever time.Just 20 hours ago,I would be trotting the sidewalk,running to catch the Transit bus to work and a mere 20 hours later,I would be basking in the glory of having my family fussing over me,over my 'unecessarily' busy schedule at work in a foreign land,over my 'ruining' health and slimmed-down waistline,which to me seems chic and trendy though!;)Idiosyncracies of a race amuse me.Seems quite imposing and beleaguring at times when one is suddently faced with the proposition of having the reigns of one life affectionately seized from one's hands.I agree that my ways are at times uncouth,the lifestyle in shambles...but still there is a certain zing is all the disarray.But then probably the emotions and affections of people who care for you actually lies bundled up somewhere in their assumed ownership over your life.A difficult situation to comprehend but a heart-warming thought to cherish:)I'm sure you must have had a feel of this subtle affection some way and sometime in your life,have'nt you?

Be that as it may,I had a hearty time feasting on all the lip-smacking delicacies!I thought of posting the recipe for 'Chingri maach diye doi fulkopi' or Cauliflower curry in yogurt sauce with shrimp.This is a lovely hot and sweet preparation with the spiciness of a curry laced with the piquance of yogurt, infused althrough with the subtle sweetness of juicy,turgid raisins.

Doi fulkopi with shrimp(Cauliflower curry in yogurt sauce with shrimp)
You will need:
Cauliflower - Cut into medium-sized florets.Wash well and keep aside.
Onion - 2 medium-sized;chopped finely
Ginger - A one inch piece;chopped or grated finely
Green peas - Half a cup
Potato - 1 whole;cubed
Green chillies - Finely chopped;2 split longitudinally in the middle


Spices
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - Half a teaspoon
Red Chilli powder - Half a teaspoon or as per taste
Garam Masala powder - 2 teaspoon


Yogurt - 2 tablespoons
Raisins - Soaked in water overnight
Cooking Oil
Ghee or Clarified Butter - 1 teaspoon


How I cooked it
1.Rub a pinch of salt and turmeric on the potato cubes.Heat oil in a wok and when heated well,fry the yellowed cubes till they attain a slight golden tinge.


2.Next,coat the cauliflower florets with the same mixture of salt and turmeric and fry well till the rawness disappears.


3.In the same oil,add a teaspoon of Garam Masala(the original recipe demands the addition of whole spices but powdered Garam Masala also works well provided it is fresh and retains it spicy flavor).Add the chopped chillies and saute a bit.Next add the chopped onions and ginger and mix well.


4.Fry the onions,till they turn pinkish and translucent.Next add in the remaining turmeric,cumin,coriander and red chilli powders and mix well again.Fry the masala well till oil starts to seep out.Beat the yogurt very well with a fork till it becomes slightly creamy.Add in the yogurt to the masala and fold it in well.Add salt as per taste and about half a teaspoon sugar and mix everything well.


5.As the yogurt gets fried,the fat in the yogurt will coagulate and infuse a buttery flavor into the curry.Next add the fried potato cubes and cauliflower and stir in well with the masala.Add just about one cup of water and mix well.Allow the curry to start sizzling and wait till the potatos get cooked and soft.


6.Scatter the juicy and turgid raisins generously and give another good mix.Sprinkle a pinch of Garam Masala and top with a blob of Ghee or Clarified butter.Your hot and sweet cauliflower curry with a dash of tangy prickiness is ready!"Shubho Noboborsho" - Bengali for 'A very happy and peaceful New Year' to all my readers!

0 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!