About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spiced and curried up Salmon

This post goes to the lovely 'Hearth and Soul Blog Hop # 37' and the 'Fish Blog Hop' at Katherine's place!!

The temperature plummeted yesterday evening,without a warning.I was out with a couple of friends hanging about the nearby departmental store after calling it a day at work.It was not a leisurely visit,and hence not all sugar and spice.I had to pick up some veggies and some common household knick-knacks.The veggie tray had almost been gawking at me for the past couple of days reminding me of my promise to fill it up and then  going back on my word again and again for dearth of time and energy.I was beginning to feel a bit contrived.
 I picked up all that I needed and was trudging back home when a scathingly chilly wind lashed across my face.It had not been that bad even an hour ago but out of nowhere the breeze now seemed to have turned into a gusty wind.And it grazed my face and bare hands and I so longed to be indoors!

I checked the weather forecast...the temperature had dropped unwittingly and it would go over the other side of zero by nightfall.Ohh not again!And I thought spring was here!

All the wind and chills made me start craving for something nice and spicy for dinner.Standing at the refrigerator door,opened wide,a can of Clover Leaf Sockeye canned Salmon caught my attention.Why not give this a try!I had devoured a canned Salmon preparation at a friends' place long back and had found the fish to have a nice sweet fishy fragrance about it.As such, I am not too much into canned foods.My growing up years in India somewhat saw canned food as a strict no-no(it is much in vogue now though!) and I was always advised to eschew canned ready-made foods and churn up a home-made gruel,whatever it might come out to be!

Having been raised on such beliefs,initially it would be hard to look canned foods in the eye.But I was slowly growing seasoned over the passage of time,and learned to gingerly manage dinners with canned edibles now and then.And this was precisely what I was going to do this cold,Thursday night!A dinner of canned Salmon cooked with some gorgeous Indian masala and fried rice,a spicy dinner to go with the nip in the air!


Curried Salmon (Serves 2)
You will need:
Canned Salmon - 1 (I have used the Clover Leaf Sockeye Salmon;I guess any should be good enough)
Onions - 1 big chopped finely
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 heaped tablespoon
Green chillies - Finely chopped
Green Peppers - Chopped finely
Potato - 1 whole;diced into small cubes
Tomato - Half;chopped finely(Tomato puree can also be used)

Spices
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Garam Masala powder - 2 teaspoons
Coriander leaves/Cilantro - chopped finely
Cooking oil(Mustard or Canola)
Salt to taste

How to prepare:
1.Rub a bit of salt and turmeric on the diced potato cubes.Heat up about 3 tablespoons of oil in a wok and fry the potato pieces till light brown.

2.In the same oil,add the chopped onions,chopped green peppers,ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and fry well.When the onions becomes light brown,add the chopped tomato or tomato puree and mix well.At this point,add in salt as per taste.

3.When the masala is well-fried,add in the turmeric,cumin,coriander powders and half of the Garam Masala powder.Give a good stir so that the masala is browned well.When oil starts seeping out,you know that the masala is ready.Add in the fried potato cubes and mix well with the masala.

4.The canned Salmon is already processed and so there is no need to fry the fish.This particular brand retains the bones as well (I'm not too sure about the other brands since this is the only one I have used so far) but the bones are cooked and very soft.I do not usually need to pick out the bones and that is why I find using it very convenient.

5.Next take the fish out of the can and gently tear the fish into small-ish chunks.Add in the chunks of Salmon to the cooked masala and give a good stir.Add in just a cup of water to the masala and cover with a lid.Take care not to add too much water as this may make the fish mushy.


6.When the potato is soft and cooked,remove the lid and sprinkle the rest of the Garam Masala on the curry.Do not be wary that the fish is not fried and may emit a fishy odor.The Garam  Masala combined with the other spices will take care of that.Spread out the chopped coriander on top and your curry is ready.Enjoy it with fried rice or with plain white rice!

5 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Alisa said...

This looks good!If you won't mind, I'd really love to guide foodista readers to your site. Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and you're all set. Thanks!

Christy said...

What a delicious dish you have here - sometimes the right ingredient is from a can. I think this works so well because everything else isn't from a can - it is homemade and convenient and delicious. Thanks for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

You're right Christy!It is a homemade dish and absolutely easy to make!Glad that you liked it so much..thanks for coming!:)

Shu Han said...

Oh I think Indian masala just makes everything taste better! hahaha. I've been adding a bit of spice into all the places you least expect to find them, like the all-irish shepherd's pie! ;)

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/masala-kheema-shepherds-pie.html

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Thanks for coming Shu Han!Indian masalas do have a magical taste of their own and if lightly spiced,any dish will taste out of the world!

Glad that you like my curried salmon recipe:)Do keep on coming back!

Cheers!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!