About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rain,rain go away...come again some other day!

Well,its been raining for the past four days now!How strange for the rain to be happening at this time of the year!People around here tell me that these should have been the days when it would be time for the snow to say goodbye and springtime to set in.Indeed it had!We had snow on the last day of February,but the moment March butted in,there was lovely sunshine around,lifting up my mood.But then suddenly,the clouds rushed in from God-knows-where and I watched with agony as the weekend almost flew by behind closed doors.

Not that it was all that boring!Because I just cannot afford to let myself wallow in any sort of negative feeling for too long(they say that's just in my blood;its B+!!) So,I just let my culinary juices flow and thought of rustling up something spicy to mix'n'match the dank weather outside.Weekends for me is usually something a bit removed from the usual dal-bhaat-torkari routine that we have.I rummaged my freezer and lo and behold!There was a whole packet of shrimps nestling right there.So I instantly knew what the dinner would be - spicy,hot garlic and ginger shrimp(cooked the Chinese way) and noodles!The husband is very fond of Chinese dishes and so I almost make it a point to make a mental note of any seemingly easy Chinese recipe that I come across.This rainy day,those mental notes did me a huge favor!The rainy day was no longer cloudy and morose as I cooked my way to glory!



This post of mine goes to the lovely space at Hearth and Soul Hop...
and to 'Full Plate Thursday' at Miz Helen's lovely space!



Garlicky ginger shrimp
You will need:
Shrimps - About 250 gms;de-veined and washed well.
Onion - 1 whole;juliennned(chopped finely into longitudinal slivers)
Garlic - 4-5 cloves;julienned
Ginger - About 2 and 1/2 inches;julienned
Green chillies - Finely chopped
Spring onion - 1-2 sprigs;julienned
Capsicum - 1/4th of a whole;julienned
Corn flour(to thicken) - About 1 teaspoon

Spices
Red chilli powder

For the marinade
Vinegar - About 3 tablespoons
Soy Sauce - About 4 tablespoons
Tomato sauce - 1 tablespoon
Salt and sugar to taste
Cooking oil

How to cook:
1.The shrimps will need to be marinated for about 20 mins to half an hour.For the marinade,mix the vinegar,red chilli powder and Soy Sauce in a bowl and keep the shrimps dipped in this mixture.


2.In a wok,heat about 2 tablespoons of oil.When the oil starts smoking,add the green chillies,onion,garlic and ginger slivers and give a good stir.For Chinese cooking,it is advisable that the oil be heated very well and the ingredients be blended well with quick stirs.The onions should turn a slight pink but should retain the crispiness.Take care not to burn the garlic cloves.

3.Next add in a little sugar and salt to taste.After a good stir,add the julienned capsicum and mix well.Next add the spring onions and give another good stir.

4.While spring onions are still green and crispy,add in the soaked shrimps,taking them out of the vinegar and soy sauce marinade.Stir fry the shrimps with all the vegetables in the wok for just a few seconds and then add the marinade of vinegar and soy sauce to the shrimp.

5.To balance the salty soy sauce,we will need to add a little tomato sauce.Mix all the spices and sauces well so that they coat the shrimps evenly.The curry will take on the color of the soy sauce and will turn to a very dark brown.

6.Dilute the cornflour with a little water,and at this point,add in the cornflour to thicken the sauce.Switch off the heat the moment the cornflour is added or else the sauce may get curdled up.


7.Your shrimp with garlic and ginger sauce is ready.I had cooked a veggie noodles accompaniment to go with this dish,putting in spring onions,capsicum,julienned carrots,peas and sliced mushrooms in my noodles.This works well with any ready-to-prepare cup of noodles as well!

6 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Christy said...

that is a really funny quip..."it is in my blood...b+" i have never heard it before and i am still giggling! your shrimp looks amazing...i definitely want to give it a go. found you through hearth and soul!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello Christy!

So nice to meet you and glad that you liked both my recipe and post!:)You too have such a lovely space out there!

I would love to know how your recipe turned out..so please let me know and do keep on coming back:)

Cheers!

a moderate life said...

Hi! I wanted to personally welcome you to the hearth and soul hop! I am now following your blog! I am certainly sorry it has been raining for so many days, but I have to tell you we have had snow here on Long island since the day after christmas and I cant WAIT for it to be JUST rain! :) Your shrimps look delicious. There is something magical about garlic combined with ginger that makes ordinary things miraculous! Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop and I hope to see you again next week! All the best! Alex

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hi Alex!

Thank you so much for being here!I really appreciate that you dropped by and left me a note!:)

Aah well,snow since Christmas?!!Thats too overwhelming I believe!I just understand how you must be pining for the winter to be done with now,but then you gotta wait a couple of more days;)

Thanks for hosting the lovely hop at your place,and I'll be sure to drop in next week:)Do keep on visiting!

Cheers!

poppilinnstudios said...

This dish looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Mmmm, the photo is making me hungry!
-Lynn

Miz Helen said...

Garlic, Ginger and Shrimp, is a great combination. This looks like a delicious dish. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon! Hope you are having a great week end.
Miz Helen

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!