About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ChinBen Chicken - its all in the name!

This post goes to 'Hearth and Soul' Blog Hop # 40' and 'Friday Blog Hop' at Katherine's!!!


The culinary veterans in my family have always loved to enlighten us youngsters with some or the other tenet about traditional home cooking.One of the oft repeated ones would be that a traditional dish should always have the ingredients that it demands,in the perfect quantities and should be cooked in the way that it has been for ages galore!The slighest hint of any diversion from methods would be angrily balked at and would be prophesized to result into utter disaster!

The obedient flagbearer of family customs that I am,I have thus refrained from even trying to tweak any traditional recipe.That it often comes out to be something else inspite of my sincerest efforts should be considered a shortcoming on my part,but never blasphemy!

But then,the impish rebel in me has a mind of its own!And that is precisely why,I do derive a sadistic pleasure in zeroing in on some very basic ingredients and camouflaging them in iconic combinations with the sincere urge to create something absolutely nascent.Whatever be the chimerical thought,the bottomline however remains,that the end product should be edible and presentable...the minimum requirements!

The latest idea to hit me,on these lines,was to prepare something which would be a cross between a Chinese and a Bengali dish!A virulent mayhem ensued in whatever grey and white matter my cranium manages to house and I finally settled down for a Chicken dish with veggies,while would be Chinese at face value but thoroughly Bengali in taste!The good news is that,luckily enough I was not banished to Alcatraz at the end of the day and the plates were relievingly clean!Phew!


ChinBen Chicken(Serves 4)
(The name is another of my wackiest ideas!Do let me know if you happen to have a better one in mind!:)

You will need:
Chicken breast - About 500 gms;shredded into medium-sized chunks
Chicken stock - 1 cup;you may use the stock cubes available in stores.I prefer to use home-made chicken stock which I make by poaching chicken pieces with a little salt water in a closed container
Onion - 2 whole;diced into cubes
Garlic - 2 fat cloves;chopped but not minced
Capsicum - Diced roughly into big-ish pieces
Bell pepper(red,yellow) - Same as the capsicum
Carrot - 1 whole;chopped into round discs
Spring Onions - Chopped roughly

Spices
Turmeric powder - 1 1/2 teaspoons
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - As per taste
Black pepper powder - 1 teaspoon

Cooking oil(Canola or refined oil preferred)
Butter

How to cook:
1.Wash the shredded chicken pieces well and dry well with a kitchen napkin.Rub salt and black pepper powde on to the pieces and keep aside for about 15-20 minutes.In a wok,heat a chunk of butter(about 1 tablespoon when melted) and fry the chicken pieces lightly.The chicken should be lightly fried on the outside and succulent inside.

2.Next,add a little more butter and add in all the veggies other than garlic;the diced onions,capsicum,bell pepper,carrots and spring onions.Saute lightly and when the onion becomes slightly translucent,remove from heat.The veggies should retain their crispiness and color and should not become droopy.

3.Now add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to the butter and let it heat up.Add the chopped garlic cloves and put down the heat.The garlic should be nicely browned to the point of being almost burnt but not charred.

4.When the garlic is done,add the chicken stock and give  a good stir.Next add the turmeric powder,cumin and coriander powder and red chilli powder to the stock and stir well.My chicken stock already has salt in it,so I do not add any more salt to the gravy.


5.When the gravy starts bubbling,add in the fried chicken pieces and all the fried veggies kept aside and immediately turn off the heat.Add a dollop of butter on top and sprinkle a bit more black pepper powder.Your ChinBen chicken(which looks Chinese but tastes Bengali)is ready!Have it either with stir-fried noodles or with steaming Basmati rice...tastes good with both!

3 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Jaya said...

W3,
this looks delicious , can I call this fusion cooking..Chinben chicken :D..love the name ,so rhythmic also :)..
hugs and smiles

Butterpoweredbike said...

Ah-ha, ChinBen, now I get it. I love the way the flavors come together! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello BPB,
Glad that you liked my recipe...its sort of a fusion actually;)Thanks for coming over!

Cheers!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!