About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chatpata Chingri Chat(Tangy Shrimp Salad)

I have been pretty irregular of late!So many things have happened since I wrote my last post.Sandra Bullock has won the Best Actress Academy Award for 2010 and Ben Stiller's mockery of the chartbusting 'Avatar' has left James Cameron flustered!It is nice to see Ms.Bullock getting recognised for her astounding performance in 'The Blind Side'.I have always been an ardent admirer since I first watched her perform in 'Speed'.I am not so much of an expert in analysing theatrics,but still my measured understanding of the arts tells me that she has indeed come a long way,so far as her acting is concerned.Kudos to the no-frills actress.We all will wish to see more such performances from her!


Now although I had cleverly skirted the issue of my being irregular,I must truthfully confess that I had been having a pretty tedious time at work and had been bogged down by a couple of just-not-leaving-you-in -peace issues.Thankfully they are off my back now and I can take a deep breath!Often when I have such days on my schedule at a stretch,I go for a couple of fast yet smart dishes that are both tasty and easy on the cook.I will share one such recipe today.It is basically a Shrimp salad (in chaste Bengali we would call it 'Chingri bhate' which means softened and mashed shrimp) which tastes yummy as an accompaniment with steaming hot boiled rice.

Chatpata Chingri Chat(Tangy Shrimp salad)(Serves 4)

You will need:
Shrimp - About 25-30;De-veined and de-tailed.Thaw well,if frozen.
Onion - One whole;finely chopped
Ginger - About an inch;finely chopped
Green chillies - 2-3(as per taste);finely chopped
Coriander leaves - Finely chopped
Mustard Oil - About 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice -About half a teaspoon
Salt to taste


How to prepare:
1.Wash the de-veined shrimps very well.Next,take about 3 big cups of water in a bowl and immerse the shrimps in the water.Put the bowl on heat and let the water come to a boil.The shrimps should be poached slightly in the boiling water.Take care not to let the shrimps become too hard.
 2.Once poached,the shrimps will turn a lovely pinkish and trunslucent.Drain the poached shrimps and press a little to let all the water be removed.Next,with the bottom a spoon,press the shrimps so that they are nicely mashed.The mashed shrimps should turn to a soft pinkish mesh.


3.Next,add the chopped onion,ginger,green chillies and coriander leaves.Sprinkle a little salt and mix all the condiments well while the mashed shrimp is still hot.Now,add the teaspoonful of mustard oil and give another good mix.The heady aroma of the mustard oil will combine with the juices of the onion and ginger to give a beautiful earthy scent.

4.Just before serving,sprinkle the lemon juice on top and give a rough stir.Serve with steaming,hot plain white rice and enjoy!

2 thoughtful musings left behind...:

PreeOccupied said...

This looks so very appetizing! I must try.

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello PreeOcupied!
Thanks for dropping by my blog!:)Do give it a try and I'm sure you'll find it yummy.Your blog is great and the chicken tikka looks absolutely lip-smacking!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!