About Me

My Photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Loading...

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bacon curry Indian-style on a lazy Saturday afternoon

The azure skies have had a sparkling shine all throughout this past week!All of it was so refreshing after last week's massive snow-haul!The small garden at my doorstep had almost turned into the Snow Queen's abode;the snow almost reached upto the window-sill.Seemed like I could reach out and scoop in a handful of white,grainy snow.All of it is slowly melting to water and there are small puddles all over the place.Back in India,we would have small puddles with shimmering water all over our garden after every thunderous monsoon spell.With the first rains,there would be a drab mistiness hanging in the air. The earthy scent of parched land recently bathed in rainwaters, would waft through and the cool,almost peppery breeze would graze past the skin!The puddles in my garden,as I see them now,take me back to those good old days,albeit, it is the snow melting into water and leisurely tapering away into small streams and not the rainwaters any more!
I tried out a lovely new recipe today.Borrowed my Ma's incredibly simple way of cooking Chicken Keema curry and tried it out with minced Bacon instead of minced chicken.It turned out to be quite as good,save for a slight extra crunch that comes with the Bacon.

Minced Bacon curry (Serves 4)

You will need:
Bacon - About 6-7 strips of Bacon.Thaw the Bacon well,and then wash the thawed meat under running water.
Potato - 1 big or 2 medium;diced into small cubes.Boil the potato pieces till they are soft and keep aside.
Onion - 1 whole onion finely chopped
Garlic and ginger paste - I tablespoonful;If using separate pastes,use 1 tablespoon Ginger paste and half tablespoon Garlic paste
Green chillies - Finely chopped
Tomato - 1 small;roughly chopped.
Coriander leaves - Finely chopped

Spices
Turmeric powder - About 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - Half a teaspoon
Whole Cumin seeds - About half a teaspoon
Garam Masala powder - 1 teaspoon

Salt and sugar for taste
Oil(Mustard or Canola) for cooking

How to cook:
1.You will need to mince the Bacon first.For this,take a wooden chopping board and smear with a pinch of salt.That will prevent the Bacon fat from sticking to the board.Now huddle up the Bacon strips in the centre of the board and chop with a sharp knife.You will need a good amount of chopping before the Bacon will finally feel minced.

2.Now heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok.When the oil is hot enough,add the whole cumin seeds and green chillies.When the cumin seeds start to splutter,add ginger and garlic paste and fry well.Next add the minced onion.Add a little sugar and salt and fry the masala well.

4.When the onions are well-fried and look translucent,add the chopped tomato(you can also use tomato puree) and mix well.Stir in the tomato with the masala and in the turmeric powder,cumin powder and coriander powder.

5.Cook the masala well enough to turn it into a spicy mesh.Next add the boiled potatoes and minced Bacon and mix well.At this point,cover up with a lid and let the meat cook,giving an occasional stir now and then.

6.This will take around 5 mins to cook.If  it appears to be too dry,sprinkle some water to keep the curry moist.Take care not to add too much water,or else the curry may loose its spiciness.When the Bacon is tender,sprinkle the Garam Masala powder and chopped coriander leaves on top.Your curry is ready.Have it with rice or with Paratha or Roti and let me know if it was pleasing enough!

4 thoughtful musings left behind...:

sra said...

This is most interesting! Never come across anything like it. Just the other day, The Spouse was looking at some packets of bacon and wondering what we could cook with it - we have had it only rarely, me, at least!

Wit,wok and wisdom said...

Hello sra,
Thanks for visiting my blog!We share somewhat the same kinship with Bacon:)The hardest part is killing the smell(or should I say odor?!?!)that comes with the preservatives.I was quite generous with the Garam Masala for this very reason,and I bet it worked!Give it a try sometime and do let me know!:)

Manto said...

Hi, w-w-w!

I made this curry with home-cured Chinese style bacon and leftover roast potatoes, and it was delicious! I added quite a bit of water as the potatoes were very dry. It's one of the best reasons I have found to cook too many roast potatoes!

Sudha said...

Hello Manto.
Thanks so much for coming and for writing to me!I specially thank you for writing in after having tried my recipe. It gives me immense happiness to know that someone has tried my recipe and enjoyed it:)Perhaps many people do try,but very few care to leave a note about that.So nice meeting you!

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!