About Me

My photo
I am a professional and a cook,rather a cook by choice and passion.Cooking is something I fantasise about.When I first thought of starting a blog,a thousand ideas coursed through my mind,albeit,none stood the sands of time.Except for the thought of a food blog accompanied by subtle nuances from daily life and from the world around me!

Search

Feedjit

The Foodie Blogroll

Popular Posts

Today's Top 9!

Join me @Great Cooks

Brownie points!

Brownie points!

I am blogging at...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll

free counters

Search for any Food Blog

Your's own!

Subscribe Now

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Another Cauliflower delight

My side of the bed usually has the sunrays sauntering in every morning.But today would be clearly different,the mind thought at the first flutter of my woken-up-from-deep-slumber eyes this morning.I already had the forecast by heart since whole of the week,the husband and I had fussed a lot over whether to make plans for the weekend or not.The forecast had indicated,in clear bold letters - 'CLOUDY' .After having spent countless weekends cocooned behind closed doors all through snowy winter,my heart quite obviously longed for a weekend jaunt;but then a cloudy day would not be my idea of a day I can happily spend outdoors,the husband reasoned.I reluctantly nodded connivance.

As the day drew on,clouds huddled in the sky and loomed large.This would be one of those days,when I would like to snuggle up on a deep couch with a steaming cup of fresh hot chocolate,wrap myself up cosily in a warm blanket and pore over an engaging novel sans any distractions whatsoever!And what better than a whole lazy Saturday,I thought!I finished off more than half of the novel,lapped up my hot chocolate in gluttonous sips(I even had a second helping!) and lazed to my heart's content before finally giving a thought to lunch.


There has been a cauliflower gazing helplessly at me each time I open the veggie basket in the refrigerator for quite a few days now.I had been saving it for something grand,but I knew not what it would be!Fed up at my own procrastination,I rummaged through recipes and finally chanced upon a lovely recipe by Sandeepa on Bong Mom's Cookbook - Chaal Kopi.So that would be it!Chaal Kopi on a misty Saturday afternoon!I took liberty to tweak it at a couple of places just to make up for the absence of some of the ingredients and hence have rechristened it 'Chalfulkopi'.Nevertheless,the idea remains Sandeepa's...and thanks to her for the fantastic recipe:)


I am sending this very favorite recipe of mine to the lovely event 'Flavors of Bengal' started by Nayna of 'Simply Food' and being guest hosted by Priya of 'Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes'.Thanks for the lovely event ladies!
Also linking this to 'Healing foods - Cauliflower' event at Vardhini's wonderful place!



Chalfulkopi (Cauliflower curry infused with aromatic Basmati rice)
(Serves 4)

I have used:
Cauliflower - As per directions from the original recipe,I have cut up the cauliflower into medium-sized florets.A detailed description on how to size up a cauliflower can be found here.
Potato - 1 big;diced into cubes
Tomato - A whole tomato chopped up roughly;Tomato puree may also be used.
Ginger - About an inch and a half;pound to a fine paste
Basmati rice - 1/3 of a cup
Peanuts,almonds and raisins
Green peas - About 1/2 a cup
Green chillies - About 2-3 split up longitudinally in the middle

Spices
Whole cumin seeds - About 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala
Salt and sugar as per taste

Cooking oil(Mustard or Canola oil)
Ghee or clarified butter - About 1 tablespoon

My way of cooking:
1.Wash the cauliflower florets very well and dry using a kitchen napkin.Rub a pinch of salt and tumeric both on the diced potato cubes and the cauliflower florets and coat well.

2.In a wok,heat about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and fry the potato cubes till a light golden brown.Drain them on a kitchen napkin and keep aside.Next fry the cauliflower florets in the same oil,also to a light golden tinge, and drain on a kitchen napkin.

3.In a separate wok,heat up the ghee and when hot enough,add the Basmati rice,peanuts and almonds and saute lightly.When the rice turns a tad creamish and the nuts are slightly browned,put off the heat and keep the rice and nuts aside.

4.In the earlier wok,add some more oil and put on the heat.When the oil is heated up,add the whole cumin seeds and let them splutter.At this point, add the chopped tomatoes or the tomato puree and mix well.When the tomato becomes queasy and sauteed,add in the ginger paste and saute well.

5.When the ginger paste is fried well,add the turmeric powder,cumin powder,salt and sugar and give a good mix.The oil should begin to seep out,indicating that the masala is done.

6.Next,add the green peas,green chillies,the fried potato cubes and the fried cauliflower and give a quick stir so that the masala coats the veggies well.Fry for a couple of minutes more,and then add in the fried Basmati rice,the toasted nuts and the raisins and mix well.

7.When mixed up well,add just about enough water to immerse the veggies halfway.The trick here is that the water should just be enough to cook the rice without turning it soggy.The rice should soak up all the water added whilst cooking.Cover with a lid and let the rice and veggies cook.


8.Check to see if the rice is cooked and the potato is tender.Once done,sprinkle the Garam masala generously on top and Chalfulkopi is ready!Add a dash of Ghee before serving to bring out the intensity and enjoy the veggie wonder!

3 thoughtful musings left behind...:

Bong Mom said...

Haven't made Chaal Kopi in a while. Your gorgeous pic makes me crave some.
Glad that you liked it

Morellocherry said...

It looks so tasty! Shame i dont like cauliflower lol. I like your blog. its really sweet :)

Vardhini said...

Perfect with rice or rotis .. Looks yummy Sudha. Thx for linking to the event.

Vardhini
Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

Post a Comment

It was a pleasure to see you here!Thanks for coming!

If you have spent some time here,I would appreciate that you let me know if you liked my blog.

I will really be glad if you leave your footprints behind.Any suggestions or improvement or just chit-chat is more than welcome!

Hope to see you again!